20,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My normal recipe is:
Win AA
Fiocchi 209
1oz lead shot
18grn Red Dot
DRA-12 or CB1100-12

According to Alliant this will be approximately 8,600psi peak pressure in the chamber.

I've recently considered loading some el-cheapo Fed hulls. They require the CB6100-12 wad due to the straight wall. While researching the recipe for this I find that I can use everything the same (except the hull and wad), but the pressure is down to ~6,430psi.

My question is this, why is the pressure so much lower? Is it due to the straight wall vs tapered walls of the hull?

I like the lower pressure. If I can get the same performance out of my shells by switching to this then I may never go back.

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Bulldog50,
Yes, I'm talking about the Fed hulls. Around here they are plentiful. I'm actually planning on only reloading them once. This way I can always have a new hull to reload. It is a grand experiment. I have no idea whether or not I will continue.

Curly,
I don't "stock pile" reloaded ammo. I'm far too lazy to load more than I will need for a week or so.:wink:

However, why would the performance go down due to temperature? Does the temperature dramatically affect the burn rate of the powder?

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting information. I do indeed have CB 6100-12A wads I think. At least there is a sticker added to the identification paper that has an A on it.

The pressure listed on the back of the paper is 6,550 for the same load. So, Alliant data is not a copy.

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Republican said:
Signs of blow by on the first generation CB-6100's (left 2) compared to "A" model (right 2):
Please explain this further. All four of these look similar to me, but, just like reading an X-ray, I don't have the experience to tell the small differences you see. So, please point out why you think you see blow by in one pair and not the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.