Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly 2inch. Has 2 1/2 inch cylinder but I have 3 inch 000 5 pellet Remington ammo that fits in the cylinder. Cylinder closes and moves freely. I'm hesitant to shoot it, and thoughts ?? I did call Taurus and asked them but I'm not sure they understood what I was saying. They said as my thought also, it fits, everything moves freely, yes its OK to shoot it. So anybody out there have an answer.??

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Try a fired case in it. That's what chambers are bored to.

·
Registered
28,056 Posts
I have the Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly 2inch. Has 2 1/2 inch cylinder but I have 3 inch 000 5 pellet Remington ammo that fits in the cylinder. Cylinder closes and moves freely. I'm hesitant to shoot it, and thoughts ?? I did call Taurus and asked them but I'm not sure they understood what I was saying. They said as my thought also, it fits, everything moves freely, yes its OK to shoot it. So anybody out there have an answer.??
No. 2-1/2 inch rounds only in a 2-1/2 inch chamber.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If your cylinder is chambered for 2 1/2 cartridges then 3 inch cartridges should NOT be fired in it.

Chamber lengths are based on the FIRED case not the unfired case. In most shotguns a 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer cartridge will chamber but the longer cartridge should NOT be fired in a chamber designated for the shorter cartridge. One reason is that the SAAMI pressure for a 2 1/2 inch .410 is 12,500 PSI but the 3 inch is 13,500 PSI.

Of course it's your fingers and eyes so do what you will.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
deleted

·
Premium Member
19,775 Posts
It's NOT OK to shoot 3" shells in 2 1/2" chambers. While you may be fortunate enough to survive this stupid act, don't assume that it is OK to do so. That's kind of like saying that you played Russian Roulette and survived so you think it's OK to keep doing it. Faulty logic. Don't do it. At least, don't do it anywhere near anyone else. If you want to risk your own life and limb, at least don't involve anyone else in your stupid actions.

·
Registered
28,056 Posts
Even though it fits ?? Not to sound dumb. Taurus even said as long as it fits and is a 410 and my gun is chambered for 410 it's OK to shoot them.
No way did Taurus or anyone else tell you that it is okay to shoot a 3 inch shell in a 2-1/.2 inch chamber. It is NEVER okay. It also isn't okay to shoot a 3 inch shell in a 2-3/4 inch chamber.

·
Registered
555 Posts
No one has yet explained WHY..... When a 2.5" shell is fired it opens the crimp and is actually LONGER than 2.5" and the same holds true for a 3" shell. It becomes longer and there is no chamber for it to expand into creating dangerous pressures.
You may survive a few of those but eventually it will catch up with you......

·
Premium Member
19,775 Posts
No one has yet explained WHY..... When a 2.5" shell is fired it opens the crimp and is actually LONGER than 2.5" and the same holds true for a 3" shell. It becomes longer and there is no chamber for it to expand into creating dangerous pressures.
Sorry, but you're incorrect. A 2 3/4" shell is NOT 2 3/4" long before firing. That's the length AFTER firing. Same thing for the 3" shells. I'm not familiar with 2.5" shells since I don't think that 2.5" chambers are very common. At least, I don't recall seeing any.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Sorry, but you're incorrect. A 2 3/4" shell is NOT 2 3/4" long before firing. That's the length AFTER firing. Same thing for the 3" shells. I'm not familiar with 2.5" shells since I don't think that 2.5" chambers are very common. At least, I don't recall seeing any.
For those of us who shoot older guns 2 1/2" chambers are fairly common, especially British and European guns . Many American guns built before about the mid 1930's have 2 5/8" chambers. I've owned several 2 1/2" and 2 5/8" chambered guns and still own one that was built in 1866.

In the .410 bore 2 1/2" is the most common cartridge size because 3" is not allowed in skeet competition.

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
In the .410 bore 2 1/2" is the most common cartridge size because 3" is not allowed in skeet competition.
NSSA has shot CHARGE limitations, but not shell LENGTH limitations. 3" 410s would be perfectly acceptable as long as they have 232 or less grains of shot. You could even use 3 1/2" 12ga shells if you really wanted to as long as they had 507 or less grains of lead.

·
Registered
28,056 Posts
Not true. 2-1/2 ion, 3 inch, and 3-1/2 inches are nominal unfolded lengths.

·
Premium Member
19,775 Posts
Not true. 2-1/2 ion, 3 inch, and 3-1/2 inches are nominal unfolded lengths.
Correct! Bailey Boat needs to get out a ruler and measure a couple of his shells and find out the facts.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
NSSA has shot CHARGE limitations, but not shell LENGTH limitations. 3" 410s would be perfectly acceptable as long as they have 232 or less grains of shot. You could even use 3 1/2" 12ga shells if you really wanted to as long as they had 507 or less grains of lead.
Technically correct but I've never seen a FACTORY 3" .410 with 1/2 ounce of shot - all the factory 3" .410's I've seen have been 5/8 - 3/4 ounce of shot.

Also, if you show up at a skeet competition shooting 3" .410's someone is going to request that a sample of your cartridges be cut open and the shot weighed to verify that you are not shooting more than 1/2 ounce of shot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts