Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinking about getting a set of 20ga chamber mates for my 12ga. Its a Rem 3200 and is my trap gun. I dont shoot alot of skeet so I don't want to buy a new gun for it. My 3200 is choked IM and FULL. I've been told that the shorter chambermates will make your gun pattern a little more open. Is this true? I dont mid shooting a gun choked a little tight. I thought if they did shoot a little more open they would be a cheaper way to go than haveing my gun tubed which I dont really want to do anyway. Also how hard are they to take in and out of a gun?

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
I've got a 20 ga. set that I use in my 12 ga. Fox Sterlingworth. The gun is choked at .005" and .015" constriction. Without actually putting them on paper, I feel that they break skeet targets with about the same authority as the 12 ga. does. I've heard and read that as you drop down more than one gauge (12 to 28, etc.), the chokes become less effective and produce somewhat more open patterns. I can see why that would be true.

If for some reason I had to temporarily do without my full length 20 ga. Kolars, I'd have no problem using the 20 ga. Chambermates in the K-80 for registered events.

TReX300 said:
Also how hard are they to take in and out of a gun?
Mine are a little loose for the chambers of my Fox, and the O-rings will begin to leak blowback gases back into the action after 50 or so firings. By wrapping a few layers of Teflon pipe thread tape directly over the rubber O-ring, they fit snugly, stay put indefinately, and aren't a problem at all.

Removal is easy with the tool provided, or by dropping a dime down the barrel and driving them out with a rod.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I'm with Mark on the 12-20 Chambermates -- virtually no difference from a 12.

I actually do pretty well with the 12-28s.

Check out eBay. They appear there occasionally and you could save some money over a new set, which ain't cheap at all.

Here's a tip if you get a set: The nose forward of the 0-ring will become fairly heavily fouled with burnt powder, as will the entire length of the insert if the 0-rings have been overused.

I figure you can get about a flat of shells out of a set of 0-rings.

Anyway, the absolutely very best stuff to clean them with is Brasso. It takes the burnt powder off quickly. Other solvents can take forever.

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
TReX300 said:
I thinking about getting a set of 20ga chamber mates for my 12ga. Its a Rem 3200 and is my trap gun. I dont shoot alot of skeet so I don't want to buy a new gun for it. My 3200 is choked IM and FULL. Thanks
Tim
I have a set of 20 gauge Chambermates which I use in my 12 gauge XT Trap. I have patterned the Chambermates with various chokes in the 12 gauge barrel. With most chokes, the 20 gauge shells pattern about 1/2 choke more open than the 12 gauge shells from the same choke. However, with the Mod (.020") choke in the gun, the Chambermates patterned about 1/2 choke TIGHTER than the 12 gauge patterns. With the Light Full choke (.030") in the gun, the Chambermates gave about a 1" larger pattern at 20 yards.

So, the bottom line is, if you have a full choke 12 gauge barrel, you can expect about a full choke pattern from 20 gauge Chambermates. At least that is MY experience. Your mileage may vary. :wink:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I ran a set thru my XS in 20 ga-couldn't replace the-o-ring fast enough-also put the same tubes in a Baikel-same result-Patterns were OK-BUT the o-rings burned off-called 'em up they said use plumbers tape-I did -same problem-in both guns.After a few shells the empties were stuck in the subgauge tubes-I sent the entire set back to Seminole for a complete refund.They didn't holller and sent me a refund-however I feel the way to go is full lenghth tubes :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Some older guns have shorter chambers.

I had to have a set of Gauge Mates tapered more to fit in my Winchester Model 21, but didn't have to do anything to the Chambermates, which seem to be machined with more of a taper at the nose.

I've got a lot of widely varying shotguns and the Chambermates fit them all.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I also have the 12 to 20 gauge Chambermates. I shot thousands and thousands of shells through them (before I bought a gun with tubes, which also happen to fit my other skeet gun..an XS Skeet). Same positive experience as Case and Mark. I wasn't very good about changing O rings and cleaning, but it wasn't a big problem. You can only use quality shells in them or they will stick. I shot old style AA's (new and reloaded many times) with no problems.

I paid $175 for mine (new) and they were worth every penny. Three other guys from our club have them and shoot them every week. I'm keeping mine for use in other shotguns.

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.