Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have punched up to A class and reached my goal for the year. So phychologically I am ready to try something new.
I know Tiger Woods changed his swing to get better, so why not make a change to be able to improve!
I have shot all along with what would be described as modified pre-mount. With the gun in the shoulder and the barrel dropped while I look back to the focal point to see the target.
I am thinking of working on low gun. What has been the experience with making this change? I have seen one shooter greatly improve by making this change at my home club.
Any advice?

I am thinking of working with the flashlight drill for a while.

·
Premium Member
20,322 Posts
I have shot all along with what would be described as modified pre-mount. With the gun in the shoulder and the barrel dropped while I look back to the focal point to see the target.
Even though you have been successful with this method, it is not the recommended method for having the gun "almost" mounted. With the buttstock in the shooting pocket and the muzzle low, this will result in see-sawing of the muzzle as you bring the muzzle toward the target. At least, that's what the "pros" tell us. :lol:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I shot high gun for several years and this year, after lessons with Matarese, I moved to low gun. I will never go back to high gun. The biggest improvement was in my TIMING. I feel more confident in breaking the bird where I want.

I don't lower the gun too much. Just a few inches in front and below of my shoulder.

High gun only for trap type targets.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Crazy Disc said:
The biggest improvement was in my TIMING. I feel more confident in breaking the bird where I want.
Same here. Once you get in practice and your mount is rock solid you'll never look back. I find on targets where you have to step up a gear or 2, that when the gun hits the shoulder it's natural to accelerate the gun smoothly to achieve lead. Something that's very difficult to do when shooting premounted on fast or rangy targets.

In terms of developing the technique I'd suggest conciously practicing MMS, because many low gun shooters wait for the clay, mount and then start the swing. For all pracrical purposes that's the same as premounted and has the same drawbacks.

There are some vids on YouTube of Richard Faulds shooting MMS. Nobody does it better.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I use both. I almost always premount for trap targets, but I also use it for some teal, some shallow quartering and some rabbits and it depends on the day and my confidence level with a presentation. Low gun for pretty much everything else. It's a timing issue for me. I admit, except for a true trap target, I am way more comfortable with a lower gun mount (like Crazy Disc describes). Since I took my last lesson with Dan Carlisle and he taught me to use that set position, my timing is much better and my gun mounts much more consistent than when I used the "standard" low gun position. Trust me, for a girl, it's WAAAAAYYY better... :lol:

·
Registered
14,373 Posts
John : It is not a magic potion. There are a lot of people who miss their mount even after practicing it for years.

Tre Sides and Bobby Fowler--among many top guys-- shoot like you describe. Gun in shoulder pocket and barrels just below the line of the bird. I use this method a lot....I also use a lower gun ,too, when that helps me.

learn them all .

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Jwints1100,

Congratulations on punching up to A-Class! And for having the courage to make a big move to improve your shooting!

I.S.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
John;
There was an excellent article in ClayShooting USA over a year ago on cleaning up the gun mount. I would dig that one out.

I have stared taking more targets gun up so I am going the other direction. I would not start any drills or gun mount practice until you know that your mount is clean andyou have had a pro check it.

I learned more about my gun mount and how to clean it up in a gun fitting session than in a lesson.

Good luck

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like to call it my FITASC mount, but I'll never go back to pre mount again. My timing is so much better. During this upcoming off season, my primary focus is polishing my low mount and using both eyes. I use to wink down at the last moment, but not anymore. The combo of low mount and both eyes has done a world of good for my consistency and confidence and now it's just a matter of practicing to commit the body and eye muscles to memory.

·
Registered
607 Posts
John, you may want to contact Curt Mauldin. He is teaching now on a regular basis and lives in Missouri. I know he can help you with your game, he helps me with mine. I'll be at Claythorne by noon on Friday if you need me to answer any questions. TR.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
There is a right way and wrong way to pre-mount.. I have gone the other way, and made it to M. Bobby Fowler method works on pre-mount, Bill McGuire is another pre-mount shooter, and I'm sure there are others if I look them up. Lot of shooters move about 2 inches than more of a low gun move. Sporting clays is a learning experience and find out what works for you.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey TR, Thanks, but it looks like I will have to bite the bullet and stay here at work tomorrow so I won't be getting over to Claythorne. :(
That's what I get for being on the road the last couple of weeks. Yeah that was work also, but hey I'm still employed! :) Gotta pay for my addictions somehow!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here in Norway it's very easy. Juniors are allowed to shoot premounted, but adults are only allowed to start low. there are slight variations on how low your starting position must be, for our national competition types some times it's as low as ISSF skeet and sometimes not. We have something resembling you Sporting clays here as well as our own type of trap shooting called "Hunters trap" but none are shot premounted. We also shoot fitasc sporting and international skeet.
There's also olympic trap, but it's not widespread and thats the only type of competition which is shot premounted.
Personally I would not be caught dead shooting premounted. That's for kids and beginners only ;)

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
jwints1100 said:
OK, I have punched up to A class and reached my goal for the year. So phychologically I am ready to try something new.
I know Tiger Woods changed his swing to get better, so why not make a change to be able to improve!
I am thinking of working on low gun. What has been the experience with making this change? I have seen one shooter greatly improve by making this change at my home club.
Any advice?

I have change my mount a while ago to a "mid-mount" I like the vision I get by shooting this way. I even shoot trap targets this way. For me Premounting did not feel natural.

The drawback for me with low gun is "GUNFIT" it has to be right, If it isn't right or "very close" then it will be impossible to have a consistent mount, and recoil may be worse. I have been struggling with some issues of gunfit and have had extensive work done to my gun to get it to fit and be pain free. It is now getting very, very close. I have been told by more than one gunfitter that I am the perfect candidate for custom wood but I can't blow that kinda change right now. So I gotta work with what I have. If you are going to make that big of a change to your game I would suggest a lesson and a gunfit. If one person could be a gunfitter/coach that would be a plus but it may be hard to find a person that is good at both.

I have taught myself with some help from my shooting buddy on shooting low gun but with such "unique" dimensions it has been a long trial and error process. But I still recommend the change, over the long run I think it has helped.

Since I got my gun back from geting some stockwork done I have been using the flashlight drill. It does help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Eriehunter said:
jwints1100 said:
Any advice?

I have change my mount a while ago to a "mid-mount" I like the vision I get by shooting this way. I even shoot trap targets this way. For me Premounting did not feel natural.

The drawback for me with low gun is "GUNFIT" it has to be right, If it isn't right or "very close" then it will be impossible to have a consistent mount, and recoil may be worse.
This is why competition shotguns have adjustable stocks. So you can find out what works for you before paying for expensive custom stocks.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Maybe someone can tell me if I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. Almost all the really top shooters looked like the gun never actually touched their face when they fired.
Especially Kruger and Radulovich. Also, it looked like there was almost no follow through.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Dicktax,
You are correct on both counts. Kruger doesn't mount to his cheek. And there is no follow through, as most of the top shooters are not MMS guys. They are shooting intercept!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
You can also see Kevin De Michiel in the shoot off video (posted in another thread) with his face practically off the stock when pulling the trigger. Very strange.

He also seems to use a very short stock, with his nose appearing to be forward of his right thumb.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
i shoot low gun all the time. when i premount, my scores shoot up.
i prefer to shoot low gun, it feels better. target pickup is better.

scores arnt the most important thing in my life. i use sporting clays as a chance to practice for live game. rarely have i ever seen a hunter walk around with a gun strapped to their face.

if i practice enough my hit ratio should go through the roof.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.