Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys.....y'all can get out your paint boxes and paint my face red :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: any time you want......

In the last days of the DeHaan forum a suggestion was made to change the name of that forum to "All guns Huglu" or something similar...And I ranted and raved against it.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

But we seem to have quite a cross section here.....

CZ guys.....

TR Imports guys....

DeHaan guys.....

And we all seem to get along pretty well....

And we all have one thing in common....we like talking about guns that are made by Huglu.....

How would everyone feel about asking admin to change the name of this forum to "I love my Huglu/CZ/DeHaan/T.R. Imports" with a subtitle CZ, DeHaan TR Imports spoken here.....

This would be similar to what was recently done to the "I Love my Baikal" Forum....It is now called the "I Love MY Baikal/Saiga/Toz" Forum.

What would you all think?

And for the TR Imports guys, I'm not putting you last as a slight....I just did it alphabetically.

Best....2few....

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
2few:

You've got a Great Idea there!!! Where do you come up with this great stuff??? As you know I'm all for it, I think it's a super idea and support it 100%. I say lets do it!! Thanks 2few, what we do with out you?? I do wish we'd see some more pictures of the guys in the group. strat

·
Registered
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you well know Strat, you deserve the credit for this idea......I just happened to be in a thread starting mood tonight. Thinking about it, I probably should have done this as a poll.

Anyway, I figure I will try to keep this thread near the top for a few weeks, and if the CZ forum membership seems willing to go along with the idea, I'll run the idea past Admin. I imagine that if the forum users seem willing to go along with the idea then Admin would probably be OK with it.

So Guys.....speak up! For it or Agin it?

And HEY! Doc......You're "one of the guys" here too! What do you think?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I think you should go ahead and set it up as a poll as that would make a more solid case "for or agin' it" as you say. I don't think anybody needs to get credit for the idea as it just came up in our conversation and it doesn't matter who came up with it anyway, it's just the right thing to do. I was just funnin' ya a little.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have to say that the very broad spectrum title works best for me because of the new Orvis and Smith and Wesson guns made by Huglu as well and it is rumored is that Kimbers Turkish made custom sidelock gun is also a Huglu product and who knows who else will get on board with Huglu.

·
Banned
4,368 Posts
Yeah 2few I remember you doing that to me like it was yesterday. :? I pushed for this more than once and got shot out of the water( by you know who :? ). I always thought that with Marks shifting to the smithing work it would have been good for the promotion of that( someone disagreed, who would do that? :? ). I also ran a poll in the poll section asking for our own forum. Low and behold it is now a reality and I think the inclusion of "all things Huglu" is a great idea and should help build the active base to a thriving forum. These guns are truly a bargain and you guys that are keeping the forum alive deserve credit.

Regards
MWAG

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
stratoliner said:
it is rumored is that Kimbers Turkish made custom sidelock gun is also a Huglu product
I don't know who told you that, but it's not true.

Kimber shotguns *are* made in Turkey, but they are made by Hatfield. I've seen and handled a couple of these. They are nicer than any other Turkish gun I've seen, but they are not worth anything near the asking price...

·
Registered
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drsfmd said:
stratoliner said:
it is rumored is that Kimbers Turkish made custom sidelock gun is also a Huglu product
I don't know who told you that, but it's not true.

Kimber shotguns *are* made in Turkey, but they are made by Hatfield. I've seen and handled a couple of these. They are nicer than any other Turkish gun I've seen, but they are not worth anything near the asking price...
Well that leaves me out of the Kimber market. :(

But Doc, I've read that in addition to producing their own guns, Huglu also subcontracts the production of a lot of parts for several shotgun manufacturers. Is it possible that Huglu subcontracts some parts for Hatfield and that this is where the idea that Huglu makes these Kimber/Hatfield guns came from?

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
2fewdaysafield said:
Is it possible that Huglu subcontracts some parts for Hatfield and that this is where the idea that Huglu makes these Kimber/Hatfield guns came from?
Sure, I suppose that's possible. I've never seen anything one way or another on that point.

However, I know of a similar example... it's common to find Model T Ford parts (front axles and steering assemblies in particular) with the letters "DB" stamped into them. If you guessed "Dodge Brothers", you win the big prize! Ford couldn't keep up with production demands at times, and Dodge was just getting off the ground and had excess production capacity, so they made some parts for Ford on occasion.

·
Registered
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
monkey with a gun said:
Yeah 2few I remember you doing that to me like it was yesterday. :? I pushed for this more than once and got shot out of the water( by you know who :? ). I always thought that with Marks shifting to the smithing work it would have been good for the promotion of that( someone disagreed, who would do that? :? ). I also ran a poll in the poll section asking for our own forum. Low and behold it is now a reality and I think the inclusion of "all things Huglu" is a great idea and should help build the active base to a thriving forum. These guns are truly a bargain and you guys that are keeping the forum alive deserve credit.

Regards
MWAG
GUILTY!!! But honestly MWAG...I didn't do that to you, I did it to your post. I trust you know it was nothing personal.

We all think highly of these guns and I think that under the Huglu "umbrella" we are likely to have our own personal favorite. I think everybody knows what mine is. :D The DeHaan forum is gone now, so I have adapted. And I try to live by the rules the new reality requires. I think we are all allies in a common cause now and I am hoping that by broadening the title of this forum we can inject some fresh blood and new energy to this forum. In its heyday, the DeHaan forum was a fun place to hang out and I hope we can make this forum every bit as lively and enjoyable.

So how about joining us more often? :D

And BTW....where's your pic? Please go to the "Who are we?" thread and post one up. :D

Best....2few

·
Registered
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
drsfmd said:
2fewdaysafield said:
Is it possible that Huglu subcontracts some parts for Hatfield and that this is where the idea that Huglu makes these Kimber/Hatfield guns came from?
Sure, I suppose that's possible. I've never seen anything one way or another on that point.

However, I know of a similar example... it's common to find Model T Ford parts (front axles and steering assemblies in particular) with the letters "DB" stamped into them. If you guessed "Dodge Brothers", you win the big prize! Ford couldn't keep up with production demands at times, and Dodge was just getting off the ground and had excess production capacity, so they made some parts for Ford on occasion.
Didn't know that about Dodge producing parts for Ford.

I'm always interested in the point of origin of some of the stories we hear on the net and since many of them have some small basis in fact I'm always looking for it. Curiosity I guess...and we all know what that does to cats.

Since you know a lot more about shotguns than I do Doc, perhaps you could clear up one of these curiosities for me?

A few years back S&W started offering some double guns that were made in Turkey. I think they have discontinued them...S&W doesn't seem to have much luck with double guns. But I have heard some arguments about whether these S&W guns were made by Huglu or some other Turkish manufacturer. Would you perchance have a definitive answer on that one?

Thanks....2few

EDIT....just checked.....looks like S&W has NOT discontinued these guns....or anyway, they still have them on their website. A cursory inspection reminds me a bit of the Orvis branded Huglus.

·
Registered
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats interesting. I had heard that, along with several other versions. Frankly I found that version a little hard to swallow as I found it hard to believe that S&W would invest the kind of $$$ required for a brand new 30,000 (or was it 300,000?) square foot plant. Thats a lot of dough to invest in a line of guns (doubles) that historically S&W has not done especially well with.

Is your confidence level high on this? I'm not doubting you, I guess I'm saying DAMN! Are you sure about that?

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I'm 100% sure of it. I talked with our S&W rep when it happened...

I have no idea how big, or how modern, the factory is... it could be some guys working in a cave with hand tools for all I know (I'm kidding guys)...

·
Banned
4,368 Posts
2fewdaysafield said:
monkey with a gun said:

Regards
MWAG
GUILTY!!! But honestly MWAG...I didn't do that to you, I did it to your post. I trust you know it was nothing personal.

We all think highly of these guns and I think that under the Huglu "umbrella" we are likely to have our own personal favorite. I think everybody knows what mine is. :D The DeHaan forum is gone now, so I have adapted. And I try to live by the rules the new reality requires. I think we are all allies in a common cause now and I am hoping that by broadening the title of this forum we can inject some fresh blood and new energy to this forum. In its heyday, the DeHaan forum was a fun place to hang out and I hope we can make this forum every bit as lively and enjoyable.

So how about joining us more often? :D

And BTW....where's your pic? Please go to the "Who are we?" thread and post one up. :D

Best....2few
No hard feelings. I knew you guys would come around eventually. :lol:

·
Banned
4,368 Posts
drsfmd said:

I have no idea how big, or how modern, the factory is... it could be some guys working in a cave with hand tools for all I know (I'm kidding guys)...
Hey, at least your conceding to the possibility that they use tools. :shock: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
drsfmd said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No need to say you're kidding....Could be entirely true! After all, look what Osama Bin Laden accomplished from a cave with an AK and a cell phone!

Have you seen one of these S&Ws? If so what did you think of it? When I checked their website this morning it seemed that they were different looking guns than the ones I remember seeing on the website when they started this venture. Considerably less decorated. I also seem to remember some more decorated ones being closed out on GB at fairly low prices. The ones I saw this morning seemed to be strictly field grade guns. Perhaps they dropped the more decorated line and that is where I got the idea that they had discontinued the project.

Frankly at $2300 for a field grade Turkish gun, these S&Ws don't rank too high on my "gotta have" list, but if you have had the chance to examine one I'd be curious to hear what you thought.

Best....2few

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
2fewdaysafield said:
Frankly at $2300 for a field grade Turkish gun, these S&Ws don't rank too high on my "gotta have" list, but if you have had the chance to examine one I'd be curious to hear what you thought.
You nailed it... at that price, they are close to Beretta Silverhawk territory, and there's just no comparison between the two.

The sample the salesman brought in had very nice aesthetics... the wood to metal finish was very good (I've made the same comment about other Turk guns)... a little prouder than I would like, but there were no gaps or poorly finished points.

I have to say... if you are going to build a gun with an English stock and that level of adornment, why on earth would you give it an SST? Personally, I'm partial to the SST, but I know most folks who are strictly hunters prefer DT.

The metal finish wasn't acceptable for the price of the gun-- there were visible machine marks on the barrels that bluing won't hide, but in the areas that were properly polished, the bluing looked good.

We decided not to carry them, as we already had too many competing brands at that price point... and frankly those other options look and handle better.

·
Registered
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DOC!!!! I am flabbergasted!!!! We completely agree on something!!!!

I'm too computer challenged to quote just one part of your post, but yes, an English stocked SxS with a high level of adornment REQUIRES 2 triggers. Just aint right otherwise. And while I am no expert, I have to admit that if the gun is made in Turkey, I think you substantially increase your chances of getting a reliable, trouble free gun if you get one with DT. Buy what a company knows best! K.I.S.S.

You're a good and fair man Doc. If perhaps occasionally a little blunt. Somehow I don't suspect you ever envisioned a State Department career! :D :D :D But then, neither did I!

Look forward to meeting you on the 20th! I should have a new "toy" for you to look at then, and I will look forward to your honest opinion....no punches pulled.

Of course, I will miss every bird I shoot at! But as you know, unless it is a barrel regulation issue (which seems to be uncommon with the Huglus) that will not be the gun's fault. Sadly I'll be able to claim the misses all to myself!

Thanks as always for posting here Doc. We enjoy your "sobering" but friendly and informative posts.

Regards....2few

1 - 20 of 20 Posts