Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you broken a firing pin spring on a Gold Sporting Clays. According to Browning, the new spring requires fitting. Not sure what that means. There is a roll pin that holds the firing pin in the bolt. Removing that roll pin seems to be the toughest part of the job. Has anyone here actually done it and what is the trick? Do I heat it to cherry red and then drive it out? Or should I believe Browning and give up my gun for a month while somebody else does it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have changed dozens of firing pins on Golds. I have also put new firing pin springs on the new pins. I have never needed to fit the springs. There is only one part number for that spring so I can't see how you could fit it. All the 12 gauge pins have the same part number too (except the 3 1/2 inch pin which will also work in a Sporting or Hunter Gold). Just put the spring in the bottom of the bolt and put the new pin thru it and tap in the roll pin and you are ready to go. The roll pin comes out with any punch that is small enough to go in the hole the pin occupies. Just tap it out and save it so you can reuse it.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
All of the Golds that are owned by me or my buddies have solid pins holding the firing pins in. Use a pin punch that is just smaller than the pin it's self. Useing a punch with a point will mushrom the end and make getting it out harder. No need to use any heat unless you bolt is coated with rust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I did the job and it was basically a piece of cake. I did have to heat the bolt to get the pin to loosen because I kept bending my punch. Don't know why it was frozen in there, but I got it apart and went for a new firing pin and keeper pin while I was replacing the spring. I also don't know why Browning lists the part as one that needs to be fitted by a gunsmith. If you call them, they will also tell you that you won't be able to do the job and to send the gun to them and wait at least four weeks before you see it again. Fixed it in less than 15 minutes. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Quote: I also don't know why Browning lists the part as one that needs to be fitted by a gunsmith. Unquote.

LAWYERS!

And it isn't just Browning. I ordered a firing pin from an on-line company and it came with a big sticker on the envelope suggesting that this part should be installed by a qualified gunsmith!!! Can't blame them for the CYA in todays sue-me society.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts