Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing lots of reading in search of a better understanding of gun fit as it pertains to shotgun sports. I purchased Rolin's Stock fitting guide and it's just chock full of good info with respect to this stuff. I'm still left with one general question. Most information about shotgun fit relates to fitting a given stock to you and the rib height on your barrel. The other side of the coin is a custom rib to fit you and the stock you have. If a guy was willing to change both the stock and rib, is there an ideal head position, etc that he should aim towards? Does it really matter what form of shooting is in question(trap, skeet, etc). I can understand how desired point of impact could change based on the actual event, but what would be wrong with a high rib, high comb trap style gun that had a 50/50 point of impact and was used as a skeet gun or for sporting clays?

G

·
Speed,
Absolutely nothing is wrong with what you describe...the high rib could give a lot of us the "ability" to clearly see the target above the barrel using the rib only as a reference. I have Rollin's info, too, and am considering having a rib made for my 682 Gold E. Deciding just how high I want the rib is the only holdup. In the past I shot a lot of trap and had the opportunity to shoulder a high rib BT 99 that a company called Moneymaker had made a barrel for. It also had an adjustable butt and comb.
Whoever had that gun put together must have had my arm, neck and shoulder measurements as it fit perfectly, and to this day I still remember thinking that with its high rib it gave me the best picture of a target that I have ever seen.

G

·
I forgot to add that, in my opinion,the ideal head position for most clays applications is one that allows you to keep the head horizontal (best balance and best use of the eyes) and requires only a minimal amount of forward movement of the neck to bring the cheek firmly into contact with the stock. If, as is so often advised, the head is kept completely erect it will be subjected to too much movement from recoil and may not be located properly for quick second shots.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Head position (how far the head is forward on the comb) is related to stock style and personal preference. With a Monte Carlo stock, generally speaking, for trap it is "as far forward as is comfortable" accompanied by the ability to keep it there during swings.

The vertical position of the eye relative to the rib, is controlled by the height of the comb on the gun. A standard rib allows only one correct drop at the comb dimension with no more than about an 1/8" of height variatiion.

On a gun with a parallel comb, if the eye does not vertically align with the rib, either the height of the comb or the height of the rib needs to be changed.

Some shooters like and can use high ribs and some can't. For some, it is more difficult to form a sight picture. I suspect that their dominant eye is not as dominant as it is with those who can more easily shoot a high ribbed gun.
http://stockfitting.virtualave.net/

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
For whatever it is worth, a Beretta Target gun has a parallel comb and a stepped and raised rib, and when you line up the beads it shoots flat, as do many Target guns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I learned about the 391 Parallel Target 'after' I bought my Urika Sporting. The PT would have been a better gun for me but I've learned that I'd still prefer a taller rib and comb than even that gun comes with. I've decided to use a Wenig 'new american' trap stock and have my rib raised by 'Moneymaker' gunsmiths. I've mocked up this setup with some balsa wood to raise my rib and I can't wait to shoot the real thing. I sure feel like I have a wider field of veiw with my head more upright. That should really help me on #2 high house as well as #6 low. I'll let everyone know the verdict when my mods are complete.

-Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Speed3172,
I'm new to this site, so here's my input for you.
I have a gun similar to what you are looking into. It is a Beretta 303 w/ 30" barrel, Moneymaker high - but parallel - rib, custom stock w/ a montecarlo and a "rollover" cheek piece which has a more gradual radius at the top of the stock. The stock also has a Soft Touch recoil reducer installed. I bought it used for over $1000 and it is worth every penny.
The high rib is awesome!!! W/ my head more erect and the high rib, it is much easier seeing the bird because the width of the barrel does not cover it up. I shoot this gun on skeet, sporting clays and trap, and works well on all of them. People really give me strange looks on the skeet field, but they stop when I only miss a couple birds--last weekend I used my option on low 8. :(
The original rib was removed from the barrel, and the current one is 1/2 inch high. It is a free float rib, the posts are narrow, and the posts angle forward 15-20 degrees. Looks cool too.
I'd strongly suggest asking Wenig to make the monte carlo stock w/ the roll-over cheek design because it is really comfortable. Plus I'd look into a Soft Touch or Gsquare recoil reducer. They are worth the money. The gun will shoot like a dream.
I also have a K80, but I shoot the 303 better than the K80 which has 32" barrels. When I get out of the Air Force, and if I start shooting several thousand rounds a year again, I'll buy 30" barrels for the K80 and set it up just like my 303 w/ a high rib, new stock, and a Gsquare.
You will really like that high rib.
good luck
Drano38

1 - 7 of 7 Posts