Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else having problems with barrel firing sequencing? If I select the right barrel to shoot first, the left barrel works ok. If I select the left barrel to shoot first then the right barrel won't fire. But if I put snap-caps in then the problem is just the opposite, it will fire left - right but not right - left. Are these inertia triggers? How can it fire both without any recoil? These are with light skeet loads, will it improve with heavy field loads? I leave in 3 days for a South Dakota pheasant hunt. Help!

·
Premium Member
20,443 Posts
With the gun EMPTY, try this at home. Open and close the gun to cock both hammers. Pull the trigger. Then take the gun from your shoulder and bounce the butt end of the gun firmly on the floor. Then put the gun back to your shoulder and see if the trigger will pull again (firing the other barrel). If so, then the inertia feature is working on that barrel selection. Now try this again with the other barrel selected to fire first. It should work this way too. If so, then you probably just need heavier loads to make the gun work. Another tip is to hold the gun firmly against your shoulder when shooting the gun. Some people hold the gun loosely and this causes the inertia mechanism not to switch to the other barrel.

If the gun has mechanical triggers, then the above test should have no influence on whether it works or not.

Report back to us what you find out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I tried rapping the butt of the gun on the ground and sure enough it worked. Is this something I can fix (lube, polish, etc.)? Is it just because the gun is new? It is a little stiff to open after firing but I figure that it's better to be a little tight than too loose. Is it something that will ease up as the gun gets broke-in? I have a feeling that the diet of 3" #5's I'm going to feed it out in South Dakota will function just fine (and maybe help to loosen it up) but am planning on a back-up gun just in case. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you have a smith local you may elect to have the receiver taken down degreased and relubed, what I have seen in the past is packing debris or stock splinters interrupt the function of the firearm.

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.