Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back into waterfowling after a 25yrs Really miss it. But with the steel shot. A new gun was in order.My old 870 is not even Chambered for 3".So off to the gun shop Rem.1100mag looked like a winner.Till I picked up the C-D it looked like the ultimate quacker attacker.So I put down some cash and layed it away.Now i'm having doubts on my choice.Not knowing any C-D owners I have nothing to go on.Any info. on the C-D good or bad would be appreicated.Thanks Scott231

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
The Charles Daley gun is setting records for returns at WalMart. They are priced low and the quality isn't any better. Several web sources report problem after problem, mostly in loading the shells from the mag to the chamber. Look at the lack of fit, the incomplete finish on the metal parts, etc for examples of why this has become the ugly step child of auto loaders.several examples from just the Waterfowler.com firearms threads:I don't know about the 3 1/2" gun, but the Daly 3" has been plagued with problems. I looked at buying one myself and backed out after reading problem after problem. Everything from trigger assemblys falling apart to magazine tubes collapsing. Too many different issues to ever consider owning one of these guns. I talked with a lot of former owners who said "don't buy this!" If the 3 1/2" is made in the same place (Turkey) as the 3", I'd forget it. I've owned the 3.5 auto and it was ok in perfect conditions,but didnt handle real hunting situations.The gun broke down bad enough they replacedit and that one broke again...benelli nova is a lot better price and hard ot go wrong with a pump,or a SBE auto. I have seen endless posts on how bad they suck, but i can't judge them, have no experience with them. But from taking the advice of around 50-100 other people i probably wouln't buy one. I own a Chas Daly 3" auto and I like the way I can hit with it, but it is not nearly the gun that the Beretta 390 is (about $500 at Wally world) The biggest problem I have with it is that it beats itself to death since there is no way for the gas pressure to get out except to hammer the action back harder. I have had to replace my bolt handle (it connects the carrier and the bolt) twice, and the hole in the carrier where the bolt handle fits is now out of round. Total number of shots 3000 mostly target (some hunting) loads. I shoot mine all the time, and it seldome fails to cycle (once in a couple hundred rounds...probably because of my reloads), but I know I'll be replacing the carrier (and other parts) soon. Others have talked of various failures which I'm sure are true. Best bet would be to avoid them unless you like to tinker. HAVE OWNED A CHARLES DALY NOW FOR A LITTLE OVER A YEAR AND IT HAS BEEN SENT BACK 2 TIMES AND I HAVE ALSO RECIEVED A NEW GUN. I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS PEOPLE WAY TO MUCH FOR HOW OLD THE GUN IS. "DOUBLE D" (I HAVE TALKED WITH "RICK" A COUPLE TIMES MYSELF) I READ YOUR POST AND SAW THAT YOU GOT TO SPEAK WITH THE PRESIDENT OF CHARLES DALY AND I WAS WOUNDERING IF YOU STILL HAD THE NUMBER? IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED IF YOU OR ANYONE WHO HAS THE NUMBER COULD POST IT IN THIS REPORT. I HAVE HAD ENOUGH WITH THE GUN AND WANT TO TALK TO SOMEONE WITH SOME PULL. I HIGHLY ADVISE EVERYONE NOT TO BY THIS PIECE OF S**T. IF SOMEONE HAS A BETTER WAY TO TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.There are many many more examples of why NOT to own this shotgun. I, however have a Charles Daley SxS that is very well made from about the mid 70's, apparently not the same care going into the autos.Rick

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Hello Scott231,I wish I had good news for you, but I've heard from at least two dealers that refused to sell the Charles Daly Auto's because of the high return rate on the gun. I've always heard that the O/U's were of very good quality, but it looks like they picked a bad 3rd party to make the semi's. You might also look at the Beretta AL-391 Extremas. See our main page at www.shotgunworld.comregards,Jay GentryShotgunworld.com Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
whoops, i wasn't paying attention to my post, i was referring to the charles daly field hunter :rolleyes for goodness sake's don't buy their pumps or semi's the slide actions are loose and cheap and their gas-operating system is comparable to a squirt gun (a cheap one at that) lol, if you want a good cheap gas or pump look elsewhere, for the price they want you can pick up a superior firearm from a more reputable manufacturer, even their SxS's can be pricy :lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Messed up and hit enter before I was finished.Think I do some more research this time Thanks for your suggestions.Thanks for your time.Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dont know how many people have had a charles daly field but the only gun i have ever shot thats better then it is a benelli or beretta which are high priced guns. People might return them but i still like it. it pulls up better than a berreta and just as good as a benelli the only gun that isnt gas operated is a benelli so if your going to complain about a daly you just as well get a benelli and spend the extra $700. And another thing dont diss them tell you shoot one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a charles daly maxi mag for about a year now and i have used it for everything and it works lake a charm. I can hit everything with it all my hunting friends like it. In fact a couple of my friends like it so much that they went out and got them one for them self. All of you think it is crap when it is not it is a good shooting gun

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought one and I have over a thousand rounds throughit Dove hunting not once has it jammed on me, it handlesgreat in the field. I would buy another one!!!!

G

·
Yea I bought one, 20ga. field. Had to use a pin press to remove the triger group to clean. Cheap....yes, Cons't...a 4 on scale of 1-10.....get the job done......9. One of my Wally-World purchases out of curiousity. Have sold since than, it's now in a far better place than my gun locker. And yes Jay you know my next curiousity was, the Baikal. That I'm keeping, the dang thing shoots better than you would think. I should post an updating on my experiences with it. Think I will. Shells

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned one (3" not the Maxi) for over a year now. I hunted with it last season and shoot skeet almost every week with the gun. It has yet to jam on me and pulls up real nice. Shoots consistent patterns and better yet, lifetime warranty. This gun is the Superior Hunter which has now changed to the Superior II. The last few posts possibly prove a retooling effort. I do not believe CD would give the lifetime warranty if their product was faulty. IMHO.TJake

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found out that any gun manufactured more than 1.5 years ago will be prone to the problems listed in the first few posts. The people at CD got behind on their production commitments to Wally World and outsourced the fabrication of some parts and also used some pretty shady assembly companies...Bad business move I guess. Returns skyrocketed and the law suits piled up. But the last year and a half they have re-negotiated their contract and terms with a new set of assembly companies and have stopped the problem cold. Returns are down by 300%. My auto is 9 months old and like the last few posts I would buy another one. Stay away from Wally World though. Not because the guns are different, Just try to imagine a world without the small-cruise-in and-shoot-the-sh*t-with-the-owner-gun-shop......Buy local and buy from the little guy first. But it's OK to buy a CD auto.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was out shooting clay this past weekend and a friend of mine had his CD Maxi Mag with him. We put many rounds through it without any problems. This one gets my vote.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heres my take on it. I just bought one(a maxi-mag) and put around 5 shells through it. We go goose hunting on opening day and as the geese are starting to come in ,and its time to shoot, ...all i hear is a click when i pull the trigger! Load up a new shell and it goes off. Did this to me 3 times!!!! I talked to a gunsmith and he says the CD autos have had a big problem with the fireing pins...I guess i must have one of those too!so after only 8- 10 shells the gun is on its way back to the factory! Now i thought it might be the shells and the primer being to hard, but it only misfired a few times. It would only put a small dent in the primer. So...when it gets back from the factory...its getting traded off on a 11-87....which i should have bought in the first place!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
does anybody have any information on how to contact someone from Charles daly instead of kbi. I been fighting them for 4 1/2 months and have got nothing but lies and excuses' on why they cant replace the gun. anyone that has had the same problem dealing with kbi or has any helpful information please write me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a charles daly about 4 years ago and have put about 1500 shell through it, and have had no problems with the gun.I dont know if you people think that every gun is indistructable,theyre not.They need to be cleaned every so often.No gun is infallible,I have afriend that has a bennelli,and his has locked up in him 3 times,where my CD had done it none.For the money it is hands down a great buy.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts