Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Empire grade sxs. Anyone have experiences with them, good or bad? New ones are made in Italy right? I'm looking at a hardly used 12 gauge. What is a good price in your opinion?

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
The classic Charles Daly's are about the best boxlocks ever made. These were Prussian guns like the incomparable Lindner, also Sauers and others. Later, the Daly's included some good Japanese guns. But the mighty have fallen. I believe the current guns are made in Turkey. They also make guns for CZ and others. The Turkish guns I have seen are real crap. Maybe they will improve like the Spanish guns of 50 years ago compared to today's Spanish guns. But beware of Turkish guns now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Look on the gun for the country it was made in. If it is Japan or Italy, jump all over it. Otherwise, leave it alone. Twenty years ago, Charles Daly meant quality. Today it is trying to ride on it's past reputation.

If it is a Miroku (made in Japan) gun, it is worth $3000+ in the empire grade, according to condition. The Miroku gun was the best of the series, by far. Miroku quit exporting the CD in 1976. The guns were then made in Italy and Spain.

I would give some consideration to the Italian made model. The Spanish made gun, I would need someone else to give their opinion. For the money you are looking at, only the Miroku made gun would be considered, IMO.

I have the utmost respect respect for CDs made 30-40 years ago. CD has become a joke nowadays because of so many different companies turning out their guns to a price point with little to no quality control.

This is my opinion. I have owned Miroku (Japanese) made CDs and they are tops in my book. I have heard that they are having some of their guns made in Turkey. Very few Turkish plant have CNC machinery. The best one is Vursan that makes the inertia action parts for Benelli, Franchi, and Stoeger. Khan is getting their act together. Time will tell if Turkey can ever get it right.

My advice: Look on the gun and determine where it was born. Then let us know. Somebody will guide you from there.

Happy wabbit hunting! That's all folks!! 8)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, but I missed it. Someone beat me to it. It was an Italian made Empire in 100% condition, which retails new for $2100. This one was $1000. Seemed reasonable to me. Maybe next time I'll be a little quicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.