Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying the 13 yr. old twin boys a 20 ga. autoloader for each of them & would like opinions & reports on the Charles Daly autoloader.

Thanks,
i_shoot

·
Registered
538 Posts
My son has been shooting a CD autoloader for the past year now - hunting, clays, and skeet. The gun has been remarkably reliable, faithfully chambering and ejecting everything from buckshot to VERY light handloads for high volume practice on the skeet field.

The gun is very light, and the comb is rather "sharp." This combination leads to significant felt recoil for my 4'9" 110 pounder. We pulled the butstock and filled it with shot, and had a lead weight made to replace the plug. THis added nearly 2 lbs to the gun, and really diminished felt recoil. We also added a Limbsaver recoil pad, which made another huge difference in felt recoil. I still need to install a comb pad, as his cheek gets some abrasion marks after only a few shots. We'll come home from the range after shooting 4 - 5 boxes of shells, and it looks like he did a face plant off his skate board!

My take - the CD is a good value, but does require some tweaks to make it a comfortable shooter. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy a lightly used Remy 1100.

- PJ

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Also does anyone have info on the 20 gauges from Tristar & Smith & Wesson? One more thing, I would like to find one for a left hander & don't know if any of these mentioned makes one or not.

Thanks,
i_shoot

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't believe any of the mfg's you referenced have produced a lefty 20 ga. There's an occasional LH Remmy out there, but none I've been willing to lay down the $ for yet. I also think the Montefeltro has been produced in 20 ga LH - but it's not on the website now.

- PJ

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
You are pretty limited in the 20 gauge lefty auto. . . I am pretty sure Browning, Beretta, and Benelli have never made one, but someone mentioned the Benelli? I have never seen it.

I picked up a Beretta 3901 Statesman from Dick's in 20 gauge for $499 this August. You can try them to see what they have. . .safety is reversable for us lefties. . .the shells have never bothered me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good guns indeed, I've had my 20 ga. C.D. semi for 4 years now and really like making the decision to buy one, can't even see ever letting it go because it's been so good to me, if and when I do it would probaly go to my boy, but I just got him a C.D. 20 ga. youth pump last holidays and he really loves it. Yes they are both very light guns, but we can hardly tell the difference in recoil between the two, but we only shoot light loads for skeet,dove and some Pheasants and we really enjoy the light weight advantage hiking in the fields all day with them. I'm sure shooting buckshots through them would be a considerable recoil difference but again we will probaly never need to do that anyhow. Both guns have been very good to us and I don't think we could ask anymore of them. Only have $ 460 invested in the 2 and thats a tuff price to me IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts