Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking to buy a new/used semi-automatic shotgun. I have two choices currently a Charles Daly Feild VR-MC, or a used Remington 1100. Which is worth the dollar?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dean I bought a MM-VR the 3.5 A year ago.This is what I heard take it for what its worth.
C-D got behind on orders and out sourced some on the production.
Quilty suffered and people were returning them at a high rate.Seems like guns from this time frame were substandard.
They seemed to correct the problem and theres a lot people that purchaced them after this period that are happy customers.

I my self got a lemon had to send it back twice at 9-plus weeks a shot.

You might get a good one you might not!! but with the life time repair deal. It will fixed just takes a while.

I would lean towards the 1100 better yet the 1187 for the 3" capabilty.

Scott

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
Remington has made millions of the 1100's in the past 40+ years. If you should break a part or need service on one, almost anyone in any gunshop anywhere in the U.S. can fix one. Parts are readily available and fairly cheap.

Compare this with a foreign made CD with limited production and very limited service facilities. Parts availability is a big question mark. Even if you save a few bucks on the CD, is it worth the risk? The 1100 (or its variant) will still be around and parts available for it 40 years from now. Can you say the same for the CD? The Remington 1187 is very similar to the 1100 and many parts are interchangeable. Even the parts that are not interchangeable are readily available and easy to replace. Keep these things in mind in selecting which gun to buy. If you have several other guns to use and wouldn't mind being without your main gun for several months while waiting on parts or repair, then it's not as important. If you want your gun to be ready to go when you are ready, then consider these facts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
dean714 said:
I am currently looking to buy a new/used semi-automatic shotgun. I have two choices currently a Charles Daly Feild VR-MC, or a used Remington 1100. Which is worth the dollar?
I just recently sold a Charles Daly Field VR semi-auto. It functioned fine, and ate every load I put into it including 7/8 ounce target loads. I had two complaints about the gun, one is it didn't fit me well (stock was a bit too short for my build), and second was it had a poor pattern using both I/C and Mod chokes. I tried a few things with it but never could get it to pattern as well as my Benelli Nova or old Mossberg 500. If it fits you well, buy the 1100, it's a better built gun in my experience, and parts availability will be there for many years to come.

Regards,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied to my initial question. I was leaning towards the 1100, heavily. I just needed second opinions, but I have one more question. Is there any other semi-auto in the same price range as an 1100 that is better?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Don't know much about a Charles Daly, but I can tell you that you won't go wrong with an 1100 or a 11-87. I have both, and love both of them. Truley reliable work of art. The design has been the same for many years. why? because it's proven and tested through and through! just my 2cents!

·
Registered
251 Posts
The Remington 1100 is an excellent shotgun. I own two of them and wouldn't trade either.

Other shotguns in the price range to consider include the Ithaca Model 51, Winchester model Super X #1, Winchester 1400, Smith and Wesson 1000, and Browning B2000. They are all very serviceable.

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
Texasbilly,

The only problem with the guns you recommended is that all of them are discontinued (no longer in production). Some have been out of production for 20 years or more. Yes, they are good guns, generally speaking, but I wouldn't suggest a discontinued gun.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Buy the Remington!! My CD's bolt assembly shattered into 6 pieces while hunting dove today. I have never even heard of this happening with any other gun and this is the third CD that I have seen with this same problem. IMO the Reminton will probably be the better buy.---AFG

·
Registered
12 Posts
:D My wife, 12 yr old son, and I just got back from looking at youth model Semi-autos. The two we're considering are the CD and the Rem 1100. I was leaning towards the 1100. I haven't owned one (we have a 28 ga. 870) but have used a buddie's back in the day and liked it. I'm mostly a Winchester pump or side by side fan. But, having read the above posts I've decided to go with the 1100. My son and wife will use it for mainly skeet and upland birds. And, having bought my wife a new couch and recliner the way is cleared for the purchase of another gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been looking for weeks at semi-autos for my wife. Wal-mart has Beretta's starting at just over $500 and 1187 for just under $500. The Beretta is a better gun. I've looked all over for a used gun and there just isn't any around. Not wanting to spend that much on a gun she may not use but once we decided on a new CD. We put 50 rounds of light target loads and 75 rounds of hand loaded hot loads through it and it handled them just fine. As for quality we will have to see, but I've had bad blue jobs on Winchesters, marlins that jamb, my Rem. 870 loosens up to much in the field and I've had Ithica's firing pins wear out. We didn't check the pattern on paper, but with a skeet choke in she was busting more clays than not. Her complaints for the 12 gauge were the recoil pad and the sights. I think she needed a shorter stock, and the only way to do that is to buy the youth 20 gauge stock. It will fit but not perfectly. All of these you can get in the Rem. or add them from just about any store. You can't find after market parts for the CD. I would say a clean used Rem. is a better choice than a CD, but we saved $200 bucks.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
This original thread has been arounds a while, since the second last post was from 2003.

However, I can'y help but ask.

gettheleadout said:
my Rem. 870 loosens up to much in the field and I've had Ithica's firing pins wear out.
What loosens up?

The reason I ask is because I have put between 300 and 400 shells through these guns in a day at ATA registered shoots without anything loosening up.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Rem 1100, no question!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I wonder if Dean714 is still looking for a auto shotgun..? :roll:

Poor guy, I hate to follow him around when he's searching/deciding on a new vehicle to buy. What an ordeal that would be… :lol:

I wonder if he ever signed up here as a member during all this time searching for his gun..:?:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.