Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a correlation between slow burning powders and charred outsides on hulls?

I seem to be finding that when I load with a slower powder (GD), I don't get as many reloads out of my STS cases.

Would a faster powder (say RD, higher pressures) keep the hull sealed against the chamber walls and prevent outside charring?

Or is there not a nickel's worth of difference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I've found the same thing. With GD the tips of the cases do seem to get burned up a bit quicker. I've been told its just my imagination or that it's just that GD is dirty and I need to try International Clays.

Tim

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
I think it's more the powder manufacture than the quickness of the burn. I had the same problem with RD, GD and Unique. I switched to Hodgdon Clays and my hulls and gun remain clean and uncharred. Red Dot and Clays are about the same quickness according to the Modern Reloading.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A friend of mine seems to think that semi-autos cause the charring, much more so than fixed breech guns.

Anyone add to that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
chukarhunter said:
A friend of mine seems to think that semi-autos cause much more charring than fixed breech guns.

Anyone add to that?

Thanks!
I agree with that 100%.

New shells through my O/U come out pretty clean. New ones through my son's 1100 get toasted a little.

·
Registered
16,296 Posts
It does seem that autos blacken the hulls a little more than fixed breech shotguns. Either way you shouldnt worry too much about it.Just shoot them until you are embarassed to be seen with such dirty old rags---then mail them to me.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Hey driller, I have about 200 AA HS .410's that have been reloaded 17 times. I was going to throw them out. You want em. :lol: :lol: You pay the postage an I'll send them to you. :lol:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
driller said:
Just shoot them until you are embarassed to be seen with such dirty old rags---
I don't feel right if I finish a round and have clean hands.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
driller said:
Just shoot them until you are embarassed to be seen with such dirty old rags---then mail them to me.
I just load Remington Game load hulls. Being black from the factory they always look new no matter how many times I load them.

Tim

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
TReX300 said:
I just load Remington Game load hulls. Being black from the factory they always look new no matter how many times I load them.

Tim
Odd, the only hulls I use that predominantly show burning/blackening are the black Remingtons. I really can't detemine anything as to why one will or won't char but I will say, IMO what causes it, happens in the extrusion or plastic blending process. In my reloads that are far more perfect (by weight/crimp) than factory, you never know which will or won't burn, and it happens in any type action used.

I don't bother to worry about it, except that the 6 points that are burned, will not retain as good a crimp as those that don't and in a pressure barrel, it shows. I shoot them once and let them fly.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Eyemissum,
Hell,,,those hulls are just getting broken in!!!!!!!

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts