Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a serious condition known, i believe, as "cheaphullitis".
It starts innocuously as scrounging around the range for
federal top gun hulls, or some other such thing, or when your friend says "do you want these"? ,whatever cheap hull they may be", you say, Sure!. I've reloaded every cheap hull known to man,
you name it, top gun, fiocchi's, cheddite/estate,
winchester universals!!! (yes it's gotten that bad.), However,
it's not as though i don't own any AA's or STS hulls, i bought over
1500 of both types from my brother who doesn't reload., the problem with the disease is, i have all these cheap hulls laying around the garage, and i figure if i use the better hulls, then they won't be nice "once fired's" anymore , and i'll still be stuck with all these cheap hulls i cannot throw away because of the condition.I once talked myself into using a few STS's for some fast sporting clays loads, and talked myself into using some STS hulls for a pheasant load , but this is the worst thing you could do to an STS hull, as they usually end up in the weeds in the heat of battle. Is there a support group for cheaphullitis?

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I don't know of a support group, maybe we could start a HA group? Me, I've been quite proud of myself. I leave lots of the cheapies lay any more. They either got to be good hulls or I don't "usually" pick them up. If you only got a couple thousand hulls, you'r just a wannabe! I figure hulls are a lot like potato chips. Go ahead, shoot all you want, they'll make more! Granted, more and more folks who used to shoot good shells are shooting junk now'days, but like you said, thay can be loaded at least a couple times. I keep a couple three thousand good AAs and similar number of STS and Nitro golds just for using for trap and Sporting clays where I never let a hull hit the ground anyway. You'd be proud of me the last couple Sporting clays events I was at. I actually had my head up while walking from station to station, I actually watched some of the shooters on station shoot rather than case the joint for hulls I wanted to pick up. Picking up hulls, next best thing to having money grow on trees! I've had some folks suggest I pick up wads and reuse them too!! You do that?? :lol:

BP

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't say the disease has progressed to picking up wads,
thank God,
But i will admit to never owning an automatic, as i hate to see all those beautiful hulls flying over the cage, then watching their owners, like chickens, pecking around for the hulls.
Thanks for the support, i'm hoping to fight this malady, and be able to get to the point you've achieved, and be able to walk from one station to the next without searching the ground, that is an awesome pinnacle you've achieved, i will keep trying to attain to that lofty goal.
perhaps it's time to load a few of those nitro gold.
I think i can beat this thing if i try.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Oh then I aint the only poor putz who is possesed with this delema. Ive picked up/sorted out the throw-aways from someone else just to reload a couple more times. I cant concentrate on skeet targets if I can see a good hull on the ground. Good way to screw me up is drop a couple STS and walk away. I almost call time out.....

G

·
I admit to having the same disease. I will load almost anything. Around my gun club the Federal fiber base hulls and Fiocchi hulls are discarded in large numbers. I used to find a lot of the black Remington SP hulls. The Federal and Fiocchis will load quite a few times. I used to throw the Federals away after 8 reloads, but now I only load them 5 times, since I have so many of them. I typically toss the Fiocchis after 4 reloads. The black Remingtons don't hold up as well, but I sometimes reload them about 3 times.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Anonymous said:
I admit to having the same disease. I will load almost anything. Around my gun club the Federal fiber base hulls and Fiocchi hulls are discarded in large numbers. I used to find a lot of the black Remington SP hulls. The Federal and Fiocchis will load quite a few times. I used to throw the Federals away after 8 reloads, but now I only load them 5 times, since I have so many of them. I typically toss the Fiocchis after 4 reloads. The black Remingtons don't hold up as well, but I sometimes reload them about 3 times.
Darn ... forgot to log in. Anyway, that was me [Sidelock]

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can understand your wanting to remain anonymous while admitting to being plagued by this syndrome, but it is good to get it out in the open and confess it to the public, perhaps one of the 12 steps? perhaps Burnt Powder's HA group needs consideration. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
260 Posts
UltraMag said:
I can understand your wanting to remain anonymous while admitting to being plagued by this syndrome, but it is good to get it out in the open and confess it to the public, perhaps one of the 12 steps? perhaps Burnt Powder's HA group needs consideration. :mrgreen:
There is no doubt -- it is a disease. I simply can't let a loadable hull lie on the ground. As embarrassing as it is, I even scrounge through the trash containers at my gun club, then load my liberated hulls in the trunk with my Purdeys. If the Brits only knew, they would send in commandos to take back their London sidelocks. :D

·
Registered
578 Posts
As I sort through my empty hulls I segregate the ones I feel can only be reloaded one more time. I package these in boxes marked "DNR" (Do not reload). I use these when I am using a semi auto. This eliminates my having to pick up empties.

I know its not fair to my auto loaders making them digest the old crappy hulls. Oh well I suppose I am being lazy, but I think its a good way for a frugal person to dispose of the old worn out shells.

Rod. :oops:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Our club has 3 barrels outside the clubhouse....
"Aluminum Cans Only"
"Spent Hulls"
"Trash"
Now, I realize that those poor individuals head down and butt up in the spent hulls barrel are afflicted with a disease... I used to think they were just cheap (although I've glanced in there from time to time, and if there are any old AA's or STS's on top of the pile, I'll take a casual grab at them, and hope nobody's looking. Well, even Federal Gold Medals, maybe, but no cheap hulls - I've got my pride.

·
Registered
260 Posts
wwb said:
Our club has 3 barrels outside the clubhouse....
on top of the pile, I'll take a casual grab at them, and hope nobody's looking. Well, even Federal Gold Medals, maybe, but no cheap hulls - I've got my pride.
The positive side of this disease is that it offers the rewarding satisfaction of learning to get a good load out of a hull that is considered by others to be trash. I never load hulls which do not have published data, but I consider these to be lost souls, unappreciated by most shooters:
Federal fiber base
Fiocchi
Remington SP
Winchester polybase
Activ

I have had more trouble with the old Federal Gold Metals than most, because the brass wants to hang in my doubles. I actually damaged the standing breech of a Browning by closing it forcefully on a Gold Metal. My solution is to use the Gold Metal hulls only in my Beretta AL-390. With it, there is no place for the hulls to hang.

This summer I found a bunch of Gold Metal hulls and noticed that they did not have the ribbing that has always been present on that hull. I tried them and they seem to me to be better than the old ones. So far, none of the new ones have hung.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the fact you look left and right before digging in , and only grab premium hulls shows your disease is probably type A rather than the more severe type B, the guys with their butts in the air, are in the more severe stages of the disease, it's good to see you now look upon them in a more commpassionate light.

·
Registered
114 Posts
UltraMag said:
Well, the fact you look left and right before digging in , and only grab premium hulls shows your disease is probably type A rather than the more severe type B, the guys with their butts in the air, are in the more severe stages of the disease, it's good to see you now look upon them in a more commpassionate light.
I guess I'm an "A-" I only scrounge the good shells, but most of the regulars at my club now toss the AA's to me instead of in the trash barrels at each station...

Life is good when you shoot with people who order 30 flats of AA's at a time...

Rawhyde

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, life must be good for you.
AA's in the trash?
I thought there was some kind of ordinance against that?
That sounds like a great rehab facility your at.
If i shot with guy's that ordered 30 flat's of AA's a pop, and threw them in the trash, i bet i could perhaps lick this thing overnight.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Forget about a cure, there is only remission! Even that is temporary! Once a hullaholic, always a hullahollic, just in varrying degrees of remission, depending of course on opportunity! A relapse can come on at any time, especially if a bunch of 28 ga STS or AAs are found lying arround. Only thing worse than the 28s is .410s! Unbelievable the craving!

BP

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just one thing, ultramag - you've been mis-diagnosed. It's not an "itis" unless it hurts. You may only be afflicted with cheaphullosis, which, however, can at some point become an itis. That point is mainly dependent on the urbanity of your significant other.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Burnt Powder, i believe your correct in your assertion that there is no true cure, I know if presented with an enticing stumbling block i'd fail miserably, probably muttering something like "you just gonna leave those lying there"? And thanks for the second opinion McKie, "Hello, my name is UltraMag, and i'm a hulla,hullaho *#@

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
As I admitted to on another thread, I too suffer. There is nothing that makes me feel better, than finding a wack of once fired shells AA's or STS left lying. Its hard to control oneself, when you are standing watching a squad, and you see those beautys piling up. I have to control myself not to clear the fence, and head out with my bag, the second the round is finished. The other reloaders at my club, often stand drooling, next to me, ready to race out there, and grab their share too. :roll:

I admit though, fellow reloaders tend to be polite, and ask what kind you are after, and if they are different then what he wants (rare) will point out the kind you are after. In some cases, one of us will be gracious enough to let the other have them, as we both know, what withdrawal feels like. 8)

Often one will try to mislead you, if he see's that you are picking up the same kind, and try to tell you how great this challanger hull (or whatever) reloads, but that he can't use it in his new gun anymore, otherwise he would take them..... :twisted: My ruse is to usually say, "really!, I may have to try them some day, but my loading machine won't accept them, and I would have to buy a new one", or some such reply. :p :D

The one hull that I could pick up as many as I could fit in the trunk of my Honda, is the "Clever Mirage" (Italy) There are red, and blue ones, by the thousands available. Does anyone have a reliable load for these?? I sure could use one, even if they were just used for one reload.....

Good luck my fellow Hulloholics, I hope to see you at the range some day... err ahh.....then again,...maybe not.. :D :D

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.