Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here used any of these shells? For example, 1oz, 1250 fps, 7.5 shotshell.

JB

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Nope, not me.

Cheddite does not load shells as far as I know ( I don't know everything ), but a couple factories use their hulls.

I know you can buy Cheddite hulls as new primed empties (N.P.E.) for reloaders.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I did not know that, thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've read the reviews from a few years back as well as some mentions in articles.

Universals are low end lower price.

Machs have high antimony cost more.

I've never shot them

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
we get them in Germany and they are very fine shells. We use 24 grams of #9.5 shot for skeet. No issues

·
Registered
650 Posts
Cheddite used to load Cabelas Herters brand shotgun shells before Bass Pro took over. They were good shooting shells and were a pretty good price.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info.

I have seen discussions about cheddite primers, but I am not a reloader so I am not up to date on that situation. I saw these available at Ables and wanted to have an idea of their quality in case I needed to order some. Shipping to my location was >$20/flat, so that made them kind of expensive at >$104/flat with tax.

JB

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I will let you know next week. I have a few flats coming. The primers are a good product so I look forward to shooting the Mach3's.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Take-5-JB said:
Thanks for the info.

I have seen discussions about cheddite primers, but I am not a reloader so I am not up to date on that situation. I saw these available at Ables and wanted to have an idea of their quality in case I needed to order some. Shipping to my location was >$20/flat, so that made them kind of expensive at >$104/flat with tax.

JB
Well if you ain't a reloader you might sell a flat worth of once fired empties maybe four or so cents a hull, - If they are real brass (pretty sure they are).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oldt, I had no idea of value of "good" empties. I see skeet and trap folks practicing and picking up "premium" shells. Figured they are reloaders. With 5 Stand and Sporting I assume the reloaders are picking up empties as they go through a practice round.

A wide variety ammo has been coming through the club because of pallet orders. Win AA, Fed Gold, Rem STS & Nitro, Clever, Gamebore, B&P, Armusa, Borneghi, Fiocchi Premium, Nobil, Challenger, and others. We don't have a Pro Shop to sell shells, clothing, and shotguns.

I assume if only the primer responds to a magnet, or the shell plastic is one piece cup, the reloader would want them.

Hopefully the shells and components supply catches up so folks can shoot as much as their budgets can stand.

Take care,

JB

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Not positive for absolute certain, but the ones I reloaded were 28ga brass with a parellel wall plastic tube and a plastic base wad.

Put em up on the bulletin board at the club, $10 or $15 per 250. If nobody wants them in a week or two toss them in the club dumpster. They make good hulls for hunting loads.

If they are steel, toss them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I shot of mix of the

Mach 3 1oz 1300's
Mach HV 1oz 1370's

I also had a guy go in with me on the Universal 1250's, he reports that they are great and seem identical to the Aquila he was shooting.

He crushes clays with an a400.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rockett0,

Thanks.

I try to stay between 1200-1300 fps and multiple brands. Depends on what I can find. I had been shooting mainly 1290fps 1oz for over a year and liking them. In the last couple months I have been able to get 6 flats of 1250fps 1oz by two brands. I have been pleased with them. I'll keep my eye on the 1250 and 1300fps loads in case I need them.

I have never seen or used these before, so thanks for the info.

JB

·
Registered
565 Posts
Cut one of the Universals open, shot was just ok looking, size was a little non-uniform.
Wad had connectors between the petals.
Tried the 1250 #8"s on helice this weekend, seemed to under perform a little.
When we loaded the machines I walked around and looked on the ground, I found wads at 55 yards from the shooting line with the petals still connected.
Won't buy these again.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The best hulls for reloading the 20 and 12 gauge are Remington, of any flavor they all load the same. BTW, the STS hulls do have brass but the Gun clubs are steel and seen in much greater volumes than the STS hulls. They work just fine even with some rust spots. Yeah, if the shell doesn't have enough rust to interfere with chambering I'll load it and shoot it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts