Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and getting back into 12ga reloading for Trap. The bulk of my hulls are Rem Nitro 27 and have some Win AAHS. I have also loaded the cheap Federals one time and then toss. I have RXP12, Windjammer, and 12S3 wads for 1 1/8 loads. Red Dot Powder. I picked up 1000 Cheddite Primers cheap so you know the deal, I need help with the Cheddite Recipes. I have went about choosing Recipes two ways: (1) use Win 209 primer data and subtract .5gr. (2) Used Fed 209A primer data as I think they are to be the hottest primer on the market. To be safe I'm only loading 17gr of Red Dot at this time. I know the Cheddites are larger in diameter and can enlarge primer pockets but I'm going to shoot up the 1000 Cheddites.!!! Anybody with Cheddite experience and input would be greatly appreciated. Here is what I'm loading right now:

Nitro 27
Cheddite
17gr Red Dot
RXP12
1 1/8 #8

Win AAHS
Cheddite
17gr Red Dot
Windjammer
1 1/8 #8

Federal w/paper base wad
Cheddite
17gr Red Dot
12S3
1 1/8 #8

Thanks, Kevin.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I have been using Cheddite primers exclusively for 20 years, using Win 209 data. I have never had a problem, I have never observed a pierced primer on my own or anyone else's reloads. The biggest problem you will find is that they cost less than Winchester 209's!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input so far. For Lexusclays, I know that most Rem primer loads I looked at called for more powder so would this have anything to do with the higher pressure?? I'm still learning about fast/slow burn rates of powder and how they effect everything.

Lexusclays said:
The only recipie I would subtract a half grain from are the Remington primer data, with the Cheddite primer sub. These are going to be your higher pressure 1-1/8 loads anyway.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Those of you who have NEVER seen a pierced Cheddite primer, are without doubt, living a very sheltered life.

Cheddites were famous for exactly that, a few years ago, and the condition crops up every now and then to this day.

Supposedly, they changed the metallurgy of the primer face/pellet, and have proclaimed it fixed. DUNNO??? Possibly the ones we still see are old stock, just now being used.

Anyhow, the problem always was worse in some makes of guns. and about non-existent in others.

SO, primer piercing is always possible with the use of Cheddites. Those that are not experiencing any problem, then their use is probably fine.

They do interchange with W209's quite nicely and do not affect load data calling for the W-209 primer.

DLM

·
Registered
305 Posts
Retired Army said:
Thanks for all the input so far. For Lexusclays, I know that most Rem primer loads I looked at called for more powder so would this have anything to do with the higher pressure?? I'm still learning about fast/slow burn rates of powder and how they effect everything.

Lexusclays said:
The only recipie I would subtract a half grain from are the Remington primer data, with the Cheddite primer sub. These are going to be your higher pressure 1-1/8 loads anyway.
With most powders, the Remington primer is milder than Cheddite and Winchesters. Like you observed, they call for a little more powder as an offset to a milder primer. Most of the "more experienced" reloaders on this board would place the Cheddite and Winchester primers approximately the same strength. So, if your using a little more intense primer than a Remington recipie, dropping the powder a little makes sense.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I've never been accused of leading a sheltered life, but I've not had pierced Cheddite primer problems. I think I've seen some blown Cheddite primers on picked up Herter's hulls found on ranges. I stopped picking them up some time ago and didn't know the brand guns they were fired from. I did switch to Cheddite primers only for reloading about 2 years ago and haven't had loose primer problems in Remington, Cheddite, RIO or Fiocchi hulls either. Like the man said, some see it and some don't.

I have seen and had Aussie Winchester promo shells pierce or cause sticking to the pin problems and hence difficult to open O/U issues. Haven't purchased them in years either.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Retired Army:
Not so sure you are right about the diameter of Cheddite. Some, but not all, of the European manufactured primers are "euro" size. I have 5K of them but not loaded any, yet. I have been told that they are the same size as W209 and similar. I know (because I load a lot of them) that Fiocchis are indeed larger. It is my understanding that Noblesport (and I believe Rio) primers are also larger.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I've used over 100,000 Cheddites and the only shotgun out of 16 that sometimes pierces them is my Parker hammer gun with the right barrel. Maybe I should check it for a sharp firing pin. They are not over size - I just miced a Win and Cheddite and both were .242. My price is 117/5000 Cheddite, 142/5000 Win, or 140/5000 Federals. The Cheddites work fine, the size will interchange, and they're cheaper, so it's what I use.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I have no issues with Cheddite 209's in Gun Club hulls, but I do NOT shoot an auto loading SG, only O/U and SxS SG's. I do resize with a Sizemaster collet and don't know about other models/brands of reloaders. Some others I shoot with are also using Cheddite 209's in GC's with their O/U's. Results may vary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Again thanks to all for input. I found the same chart that oregunner posted which is where I based my diameter size quote. Also, I had found a lot of info on pierced Cheddite primer problems. Not going to sit around worrying about it as different guns have different issues with different materials...with that said I shoot a Beretta Xplor Unico (green receiver) and my beginner Trap gun is a TriStar TT-15 Single. I'm sure my Xplor will hold up but I am interested to see how the TriStar firing pin handles 1000 Cheddites, or 1000 of any Primers!!!!!!!

For me, based on everyone's recipe input I will load my hulls with Win 209 primer data. In any recipes that are max loads with high pressure I will subtract .5 gr to be safe.

Bottom line, the price was right on the 1000 Cheddites and I'm gonna shoot'em up!!!!!!!

Again, thanks to all, Kevin.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
"Bottom line, the price was right on the 1000 Cheddites"

Exactly the reason I have 5,000: $108.00.
I bought mine from Mike Graff at the Grand. He told me that Cheddites were pretty much the same size as standard US primers.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I decided to find out for sure:
I opened up my brand new case of 5K Cheddite and tried a couple. Results were "interesting." At this point I would have to describe their size as "in the middle." I grabbed a couple Gun Clubs that have been primed with Fiocchis and deprimed/resized them. The new Cheddite primers were not a bad fit in them. The primers started in, but I was unable to push them in all the way in without using the press. I pressed them back out and tried the spent Fiocchi primers that had been in these hulls. Yep, the Fios were snugger, but not a huge difference. I shoot break open guns exclusively. I would not be hesitant to use the Cheddite primers in hulls that had been primed with Fiocchi. In an auto or pump- maybe. Next I grabbed a couple AAHS that had never seen anything but a W209, and deprimed/resized them. The Cheddite primers did start in but I needed the press to get them seated. It required what I would call a "normal" force to seat them. I knocked the Cheddite primers back out and tried the original W209. The fit was good and reasonably snug. I was unable to seat them without using the press. Finally I tried a couple W209 in the Gun Clubs that had been primed with Fiocchi. I was able to push them in and seat them with my fingers. I would be very hesitant to use this combo, even in a break open gun.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Whether you will see pierced primers with Cheddites is, indeed, gun dependent. I don't seem to have a problem with them in my guns but a friend of mine with a relatively uncommon Italian shotgun had terrible trouble. He suffered significant damage to his firing pins and gave me nearly 4K Cheddites. He said it was cheaper to give the primers away and buy Winchesters than to replace firing pins - apparently they are very expensive for his gun and are not easily user installed.

Firing pins for my guns are all pretty inexpensive so I'm not going to worry about an occasional pierced primer. If it were happening frequently, I'd definitely try to figure out why and change primers, if necessary.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.