Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Second time poster, long time lurker. THis is a great site.
Can anyone recommend a good set of waders. What are the pro/cons of neoprene and breathable, more to the point which is warmer and more durable. Are there any books that I should check out? Thanks for the info.

Have a Great day.

Scott

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Scott are you busting ice or just sitting in the cold muck.
I don't own a pair of waders anymore cause i've changed my duck hunting habits to jumpshooting or sitting in cornfields but if I were buying a set today it would be the Redhead Bone-Dry waders from Basspro.

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/ca ... get=browse

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be doing both, busting ice, sitting on cold muck, and cold aluminum. Thanks for the link I'll check it out. Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yep, jlptexashunter is right as usual. A friend of mine has the Redheads and he usually looks warm and dry sitting in our main blind, which is on a tidewater creek below sea level (but not below WIND level). However, I caution you from experience with this same friend, that the RedHeads seem to cause him to shoot too soon, too quickly, and too accurately, thus robbing me of ducks. Or maybe it's his old Browning autoloader . . . :lol:

I have a pair of Hodgeman's, insulated and breathable, and they are boot foot. You might consider boot foot, depending on the bottom you have to negotiate. I find them much easier to walk in, or --when I am chasing our boat, which has a nasty habit of floating away as the tide comes in--to run in. I've been told I look like Eliza crossing the ice in those waders. Just my two cents.

Jeff23

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a set of the Orvis Camo 5mm Neoprenes. They have the reinforced knee and the straps velcro to the inside of the wader. Similar to the Battenkill guideweight boot foot waders listed on their web site. They are great no matter if I am laying out decoys in the Howling snow, or sitting in the blind. Plus Orvis will replace them if there is a problem.

I would also suggest that if you spend alot of time in the blind or stationary, then you might want to try some of those feet warmer packets that attach to your socks. For under $1 your feet will be warm and comfortable for hours. Unfortunately they are not reusable, but they are well worth the money. You'll be surprised at how much better your aim is when you are actually not shivering with cold feet...

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts