Shotgun Forum banner

Chincoteague Island

2083 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Anonymous
Does anybody know if you can hunt ducks and upland game on the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge in Virginia. I have hunted on Assateague Island several times and it was a blast. I now go to college in VA so I have a VA hunting license and I'd like to go there over my upcoming thanksgiving break if i could go hunting.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
From the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge FAQ's page...

"Waterfowl hunting is permitted on Wildcat Marsh, Metompkin Island, Assawoman and Morris Island. Rail hunting is also allowed on the islands of Metompkin and Assawoman. Waterfowl and Rail hunters must obtain written permission from the Refuge Headquarters."
Thanks for the info Salmoneye.
G
Could any one give me any info on hunting silka deer on the island? Can't find any info from any game commisson web sites.
G
Itdan52- Sika deer are not listed as "game" in VA. They are listed as an exotic imported species. You can hunt them on Chincoteague, but have to attend a "safety class" the day before being set free on the land. I suggest you contact the Feds for more info, I believe you can get info off a website. Off the top of my head look under Chincoteague NWR, etc. I receive brochures each year to submit my application to hunt there. Rifles, bows, and shotguns can be used here. The Sika are small but plentiful . . . just don't mistake a whitetail for a Sika--that's a no-no.
I hunted rails last year with a friend at Chincoteague...we killed a good many.
G
Just a reminder, deadline for this years raffle is OCT 8. If you get drawn to hunt, it is a good excuse to come down to blast some duckies, and some sikas.

http://chinco.fws.gov/huntgen04-05.htm
G
Just a reminder, deadline for this years raffle is OCT 8. If you get drawn to hunt, it is a good excuse to come down to blast some duckies, and some sikas.

http://chinco.fws.gov/huntgen04-05.htm
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.