Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase an O/U shotgun in the $800-$1500 (maybe more) range mainly for quail hunting. Probably a 12 *****??? I have a long sleeve length so fit may be an issue. Any thoughts or quidence would be appreciated. Also barrel length and type chokes???? Thanks

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
There are several good ones out there in your price range. I'd recommend the Browning Citori, or the Winchester Select. The 12ga may be a little too heavy for hunting for some, but I don't mind mine. For quail, you may want to consider a 20ga, or even a 28! The 28 is one sweet little gun, though the shells are a bit steep, but the gauge seems like it was made specifically for quail.

Frank

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I have a 35 or 36" sleeve length and find that Brownings usually fit me a little better than Berettas. YMMV, however, so you'd best examine some of each. For quail hunting, something light like a used Lightning Feather might be a good choice.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
If you are looking for a new gun, I would also suggest the Winchester Select. I've seen several places selling new ones for around $900 (Retail $1900+). The fit is nearly identical to the Browning XS Sporting, but the cost is $1000 less.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Beretta makes some good guns in that price range.

For quail, I would stick w/ 30" barrels (or even 28) though I shoot a 31 1/2 barrel for quail.Sadly, I seldom get to hunt quail.

I like IC choke for the 1st barrel and Mod for the 2d one.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
If it's "mainly for quail hunting"..... a light 20ga O/U would be best. The 20ga Beretta O/Us fill this bill quite well, as do older SKB side by side models 100, 200E and 280. "The" quail gun is a 28ga SXS in my mind, but a 20 is more versitile and cheaper to shoot by far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.