Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What choke cleaner do you use ??
Comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ray

·
Registered
357 Posts
Briley's makes a product called "Strip Tease" it is pretty good. it comes in a plasic jar. Just remove lid, put chokes in jar, let them set for a while, remove and pretty much wipe off the build up. Other than that the only other product I have used is Gun Scrubber from Birchwood Casey it is pretty good as long as you have a brush you can scrub the choke out with.

Good Luck

Dennis

·
Registered
229 Posts
I assume you're concerned with the wad build-up problem near the choke base? Anyway, a thread on this forum a year or so ago suggested soaking in acetone over night which works very well. You don't need to do it that often. A qt of the stuff is about 5.00 which should last you a long time.

G

·
This is what I do: I take a pint of gas from the can I keep for my mower. I soak the chokes in a glass jar with a screw on lid overnight and hit them with a brush the next day. Then I run the dirty gasoline thru three layers of paper towels and put the gas back in the can. Chokes are clean, mower runs.
No exotic crap to dispose of.

You can roll and smoke the used paper towels if you are man enough.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Soak in Shooter's Choice and then brush as needed. If you soak them long enough, you don't need to brush, but I'm not that patient.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Slip 2000 gas piston and choke tube cleaner is the best product on the market.

The plastic that comes out of the choke tubes, even after only a few hundred shots is substantial.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Slip 2000 works great for me. It is water based, so it can be used indoors with out fumes. I soak my Briley chokes for about an hour, after shooting only two events with new STSs, and I can see big flakes of plastic. Look at the net slip2000.com The starter kit comes with jar and hangers.

·
Banned
1,797 Posts
Slip works for me, and I can use it indoors without wifey kicking me out of bed. Suspect Briley's is same stuff in a different jar.

Shooters Choice and other noxious liquids work on the chokes, but add to domestic tensions.

·
Registered
502 Posts
shooters choice usually however I have used Naptha or acetone in the past it is cheaper than shooters choice and works as well.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Try a degreaser sold at Lowe's for household applications. I dumped a spray can of it in a coffee can, put the tubes in and let them set overnight. The crud comes right off and the degreaser is cheap.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I normally clean them in-the-bore when I clean the barrel. If I have extras to clean I wet them with powder solvent and wait a while. I then use a bore brush to loosen the crud and a paper towel to remove it.
I bought some used chokes that had sat a while and were pretty cruddy. I soaked them with solvent and let them set. I then used an old brush wrapped with 4o steel wool. I chucked up a section of old cleaning rod and the wrapped brush in a cordless drill. A few seconds is all it took to remove ALL of the fouling! Keep the brush wet with solvent while doing this. Power tools rule!!!

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I'm with you, Shell Shucker. I have choke and parts soaks...different stuff, but they sit on the shelf these days.

A little BC Bore Scrubber and a drill and it's done work.

Cheers

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hell Yea Barron! I like buying old shotguns and nothing cleans up a chamber/bore/choke like a steel wool wrapped brush (soaked in solvent) attached to a cordless drill!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mix equal parts of alchol, hydrogen peroxide, murphys oil soap.
stick old rag tightly in tube soak rags for 20 min. push out rags and brush clean, works for me. If you store this stuff keep in
dark bottle to keep the peroxide active.

charlie old indian trick

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have tried several different approaches to choke cleaning. About a month ago, I got tried Slip 2000 and all I can say is, "WOW."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts