Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found some 410 ammo so I'm going to shoot some skeet. I have 2 skeet chokes which I plan to use but I also have a cylinder and IC choke. Curious if others have different suggestions for chokes other than skeet. Is a cylinder better to get the widest pattern possible? Or is a tighter choke better?

I know skill level will dictate and this is only on the margin; more curious as to what others use than anything else.

· Premium Member
102 Posts
The guys in my squad are always commenting in the quality of the breaks I get with my Cyl .410 chokes. We are not shooting registered targets but it doesn't seem to be a handicap. I have skeet and Improved Cylinder chokes but chose to give myself the best advantage to break the target. It is worth it to try them all.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
I spent a winter shooting 410 patterns (many) and counting the holes. I compared my numbers to what "Shotgun Ballistics For Windows" calculated as the optimum range for optimum patterns for 1/2 ounce of #9s. The range of optimum is very wide. That was a bit of a surprise. A bigger surprise was that everything I patterned produced optimum patterns.

And a optimum pattern is an optimum pattern, There are no better or worse optimum patterns.

I didn't pattern a cylinder in 410, so I can't say. But I venture in will be fine. I am very confident your other chokes will be good. I'd use SKEET.....just because that seems to make sense.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't get scientific and try to keep it simple. I have always defaulted to skeet in 12 and 20. For 28 I shoot cylinder and skeet because it didn't come with 2 skeet chokes. I shoot so well with it, I never felt the need to buy another skeet choke.

Bought a 410 barrel for my 28 g and took forever to find ammo. Havent yet shot 410 skeet. The gun came with a good set of chokes. As I mentioned, I will probably go with skeet/skeet, and was just curious as to what others use since I have options.

· Registered
1,672 Posts
Here are a few of my .410 pattern numbers to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get with #9 skeet loads and different choke constrictions.

Obviously, the only way to really know how your choke/load combo performs is to pattern it.

Good luck!

Patterning results @ 25 yards from a Yildiz SxS .410 with 28" barrels and factory flush choke tubes (patterns average of five, post-shot scribed circles, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

.410 2 1/2" WINCHESTER AA TARGET LOAD
1/2 oz #9 lead (281 pellets) Max DE

RIGHT BARREL (ID .408”)

FULL choke (.023” constr.)
20" / pattern 189 (67%)
20-30" / pattern 68
30" / pattern 257 (91%)

IM choke (.017” constr.)
20" / pattern 190 (68%)
20-30" / pattern 66
30" / pattern 256 (91%)

MOD choke (.012” constr.)
20" / pattern 173 (62%)
20-30" / pattern 71
30" / pattern 244 (87%)

IC choke (.005” constr.)
20" / pattern 144 (51%)
20-30" / pattern 85
30" / pattern 229 (81%)

CYL choke (-.002” constr.)
20" / pattern 84 (30%)
20-30" / pattern 83
30" / pattern 167 (59%)

· Registered
199 Posts
Here are a few of my .410 pattern numbers to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get with #9 skeet loads and different choke constrictions.

Obviously, the only way to really know how your choke/load combo performs is to pattern it.
Joe Hunter - thank you for sharing that information! I'm trying to decide on a .410 o/u and whether I'll hold out for a gun with chokes or settle for a couple I see available right now with fixed chokes. That information helps a lot.

· Registered
157 Posts
Finally found some 410 ammo so I'm going to shoot some skeet. I have 2 skeet chokes which I plan to use but I also have a cylinder and IC choke. Curious if others have different suggestions for chokes other than skeet. Is a cylinder better to get the widest pattern possible? Or is a tighter choke better?

I know skill level will dictate and this is only on the margin; more curious as to what others use than anything else.

· Registered
1,032 Posts
I use Skeet Improved chokes for 410 and 28 gauge. I've found that it provides a bit more range for long shots which is helpful when it gets windy. My club has a depression in front of some high berms and sometimes those wind currents can carry a target over 60 feet high. I've also found the 410 to be a lot of fun on our short 5 stand setup, the longest shot is about 40 yards and with these chokes a good centered hit will produce rather impressive breaks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts