Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this barrel a modified or improved cylinder choke? The books seem to show two asterisks and an underline, where this looks more like a dash.

I thought is was modified with just a dash on both sides of the "special steel", but now I've seen another with no dash after the two asterisks.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410 ... fullsize=1

Thanks,
Cass

·
Registered
813 Posts
Looks like Improved Cylinder to me

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
That dash is not part of the roll stamping of Special Steel.

It does not look like the factory mark for Imp Cyp to my eyes. The codes also look to be slightly out of line with each other.

My edumacated suppository is that it was a full choke gun (*) that was probably opened up and re-marked with hand stamps some time after it left the factory.

Shoot it or mike the bores and find out what it really is.

Jeff

·
Registered
229 Posts
The link looks like it brings you to the pic. I posted, barrel shot 1, under dta, under photos Browning. Look at the scratches above the markings and the three dings on the forearm.

Jeff, remember, this is the barrel you helped me out with and the one that I patterned.

dta

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys.

dta, I didn't explain well. I saw your picture in the "Browning Photo Album" here, but I am looking at another shotgun that has the same marking.

The marking didn't look quite like I expected the Improved Cylinder mark to look based on the books that showed an "underline" rather than a "dash", so I was searching for another picture to compare.

The other barrel I am looking at is 26", so IC would be a strong possibility. I guess the opened up and remarked idea would also make sense.

Do any of you have a picture of a factory IC marking to compare?

Thanks,
Cass

·
Registered
229 Posts
My recollection is that if you look at my initial post in August 07. "A 5 Barrel, please help w/ info", you will see that I had the same question you had and how everyone helped out.

dta

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
dta,

I'm not sure I remember the bottom line....did we decide that it was a choke that would have been IC type pattern percentages using period ammo but was shooting more like a Mod with modern stuff?

Remind me!

Jeff

·
Registered
229 Posts
Jeff,

From what I recall (going from memory, which I admit these days is not always the best), you mentioned that the only true way to tell would be to measure the choke before and after the constriction. I think some of the other guys mentioned that the markings were that of an IC.

Bottom line though everyone suggested to pattern it.

A Great Thanksgiving to you and yours if I don't get a chance to post again by Thursday. That goes of course to everyone else as well.

dta

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
dta...your so right. What a great holiday! The harvest, deer season, fall foliage family....life is good.

All the best to you guys,

Jeff

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, happy thanksgiving to all!!

dta, I found the old post thanks for the info.

The one I'm looking at is on a Light Twelve. It sounds like it probably is an IC. I won't be able to pattern it unless I buy it, so I have to go by the other signs for now.

Thanks,
Cass

1 - 10 of 10 Posts