Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to the sport of trap & skeet shooting. Could someone please give me their opinion about which choke to use when shooting clay's. I have a Browning Fusion and the chokes I have are: 1)Full, 2)Improved modified, 3)Modified, 4)Improved Cylinder, 5)Skeet. So many choices I'm lost. Thanks ahead of time for the responses. According to Browning website here is what each choke is suppose to produce. Average percentages for a 30 inch circle at 40 yards. 1) Full - 65% to 75% 2) Improved Modified - 55% to 65% 3) Modified - 45% to 55% 4) Improved Cylinder - 35% to 45% 5) Skeet - 30% to 35%

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh, Boy,Another newbie whose mind we can pollute with all kinds of "stuff"! :b Take this for what it is worth...trap is generally shot with chokes as loose as light modified all the way to extra full. For the closer targets-16 yds to 20 yds-modified is about all you will need. Beyond 20 yards most people use Full.Remember, this is very subjective, and everyone has his or her own preference. Skeet is an "open choke" game, so use either cylinder or skeet, and don't let anyone talk you into using 7 1/2 shot for skeet...you don't need it. If you ever shoot Sporting Clays you will probably need every choke you already own plus about 10 more:lol ! No, just kidding...what you have is fine, but you will change them a lot more often unless you are so good that you can hit everything thrown with a full choke.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
For sporting clays it depends on the course....some are set "easy" and can be shot with just one choke, ask the course manager or the puller. Other courses are set with a very wide set of shots, some on the same station you will have a very close target needing a skeet tube but the next clay may need a full choke. It all varies with the setter.Chokes in sporting clays become like a golf bag full of clubs, for a regular shooter that is familiar with his equipment its a matter of matching the right tool for the job. For the novice it can become more of a problem trying to figure which choke for which shot and take away from the experince of the shoot. If you have a puller you can ask them, just like asking a caddy otherwise stick with your basic IC or MOD and try to enjoy the course. There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You will want to use your skeet and Ic for skeet and at least a mod at trap. I like IM for every thing from 16 to 27 but I allso shoot em fast! As far as chokes for sporting clays your fine with what you have now. I shot with a young shooter this weekend that only had one choke with him a mod so on the close ones he just took the choke out! I dont recemend this but it worked for him he was allso a master class shooter! :lol Dave

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hollywood Dave...I was scared to death the first time I saw someone shoot w/out the choke screwed in their gun, but since that time I have come to accept it as a practice that apparently will not harm the threads as long as it is lead shot being used. The first person I saw doing it was the top officer of the now defunct SCA, and he claimed to have been doing it with the same gun for about 10 years. Notice that I have not said that I do it. I have no intention of taking a chance on screwing up a perfectly good bbl no matter how safe someone else thinks it is.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
If the wad does its job, the threads are safe from the metal anyway, but that doesnt mean I'm going to do it.I have seen many sporting clays competition shooters shoot without their chokes and I too have no interest in doing it. There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally have 2 each of the hastings chokes from gander mountian in #2,6,&10. I have no problems using only these three different tubes. I will warn you that chokes are not cheap.I can usually shoot an entire corse with #6 which are like a modified and do very well for close or skeet shots I use the #2 and for long ones I use the #10. I hope this helps you out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.