Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the most versatile choke selection for a Trapb Skeet c Sportingin an O/U gun????? ITS NOT HOW WELL YOU SHOOT, ITS HOW MUCH NOISE YOUR GUN MAKES.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Since you specified that the selection of chokes be based on an O/U configuration here is my 2 cents worth- (bottom bbl first): A)Trap-IM,F Look at how many fixed choke o/u's came this way...still the best choice. IM all the way back to about 25 yds then use full. Only "problem" with this rational is that the bottom bbl has a more direct line of recoil and thus seems to kick less but we usually use a heavier load for the longer distances and put it in the top bbl where we feel it more. I use tubed guns and don't shoot the top bbl except for doubles.B)Skeet-Used to be sk,sk...or sk1,sk2. I think it should be cyl,cyl...or the diffusion tubes that Briley popularized a few years ago. Skeet targets are way too close to need anything more than true cylinder bore.C)Sporting-Can of worms-too many variables to state unequivocally one simple choice, BUT...if pressured, I would have to use IC,LM. I have done this on a course I was familiar with and shot scores that were consistently as good as what I shot at that time changing to what I felt was best on each station. The problem with missing any targets seemed to come from not having enough choke on a few stations rather than having too much. For less experienced shooters or for those who don't have a really good gun mount the reverse may be true....that is, they might benefit from a more forgiving pattern.

·
Registered
91 Posts
dks,One thing to consider when selecting a choke is what size of shot are you going to use. It's been my expierience that open chokes work better with higher pellet counts (ie:smaller shot) and the tighter chokes on longer shots work better with larger shot sizes. All of my sporting clays guns are choked F/M so I go w/ 8 or 8-1/2 on the 1st shot and 7-1/2 or 7 on the 2nd and I always get nice breaks when the brain does it's part.With me that brain part is more of a problem then the equipment ;) Joe

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks people.I started shooting clays, sporting mainly, and seemed to shoot nothing with cylinder and IC. Due to the fact that most shots were taken at a large distance I changed to IM (bottom) and M (top) and seemed to do a lot better (well ok, Excelent) with slow targets and targets moving towards or away from me and on the ground, but still cant get the side to side fast ones. I need to built more of a flow rather than a point and shoot method.I will try the recomendations given.:D ITS NOT HOW WELL YOU SHOOT, ITS HOW MUCH NOISE YOUR GUN MAKES.

·
Registered
109 Posts
dks,Hey, don't feel alone when you miss those crossers! That is the hardest shot for most people-has something to do with:a) good gun mount b)knowing how much lead to allow c)allowing for curl or drop d) knowing exactly where the point of impact for your gun/load combination is, etc, etc. I have heard several instructors say that we all want to practice the long (ie 50 yd plus) crossers way too much when the majority of us can't hit 35 yd crossers consistently. I personally think that we each have to find our own look point, gun insertion point and break point in order to become proficient on these.Incidentally, I have one load that I use more than any other for all sporting targets. It is one ounce of hard 8's at about 1180 fps. With an IC choke this is deadly out to 35 yards. It is only past that distance that I will consider a tighter choke-even for targets thrown where only the edge shows. You, however, will through experimentation come up with what works best for you, and good luck along the way. Just remember that when things don't go well you should still enjoy the ride. Busting clays is great!

G

·
My experience has been to start out with IC both bbls (I shoot upper bbl first). Get used to your gun with IC.
As you improve, make the game more challenging by going up to LM, then eventually up to M.
On bad days, you can cheat and slide back into IC just to get your confidence up, and enjoy your day.
Whatever you do, DON"T get caught up with continually changing your chokes station after station! I watch alot of guys do this to no avail.
Don't rely on your equipment to do all the work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts