Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a win lite barrel with a stuck choke tube, any clue as to how to get it unstuck? Any help would be great! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Try a bit of heat from a hair dryer. Don't get it overly hot; just medium hot to the touch. Certainly, a good choke wrench is very helpful as well. If the first heat treatment doesn't result in it coming out, let it cool and then re-heat. A couple of heating-cooling cycles can do wonders, as can soaking in a penetrant like Kroil.

·
Registered
24,443 Posts
Kroil works; so does freezing the choke tube (using something like a popsicle) and heating the barrel with a hair dryer. Another trick is after using Kroil, to try and actually tighten it just a smidge to break the rust and then take it out.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Friend of mine had a really stuck choke tube in his waterfowl gun. It was in a Rem 1100 and the choke had probably not been taken out in years.

He soaked it in kroil for a day or so, and then used an ez-out to back out the choke. Didn't do any more damage than put a small scratch in the choke. He used a straight flute ez-out - primarily because thats what he had that was the right size.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Knock Er loose is a spray penatrent that has gotten the job done. Do not under any circumstances use heat after using PB blaster it turns into mustard gas bad stuff...

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
deadeye8 said:
Do not under any circumstances use heat after using PB blaster it turns into mustard gas bad stuff...
You heard it here first folks (because I searched the internet, and found this jewel nowhere else).

Somehow a blow dryer will turn Heavy Aromatic Naptha solvent, Heavy Petroleum Distilate, and Hydrotreated Light Distillate (oil, oil, and oil basically) into (Cl-CH2CH2)2.

Somehow I am not seeing it.................

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Start heating the barrel with a blow dryer about 2-3" back from the muzzle where right around the threads. Once the barrel is nice and warm, take a piece of dry ice, (-109F), hold it with something other than your hand on the end of the choke the temperature will contract the choke and the heat will expand the barrel. Get your choke wrench out and gently try to work the choke loose. If that doesn't do the trick seek the help of a professional. Always wear safety glasses and thick gloves with dry ice. If you are not comfortable don't do it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ultrsonic parts cleaner. Just about any fluid will work, dawn and water worked for me. Stick the choke end in past the threads and run it a couple of cycles. Was a friends old gun, mine always get anti-seize. The anti-seize works by having metal flakes suspended in grease. When the choke is tightened the metal flakes are compressed and help the choke from backing out as well as keeping gases and carbon out. The anti-seize also helps keep water out. When it comes time to change chokes the metal flakes shear easily and the chokes come out fine. It can be a bit messy if you us too much, the only amount that makes a difference is the bit on the threads so if starts squeezing out your using too much. I usually keep Lt. Mod. in both barrels and rarely change them so the messy bit is a none issue. On the other hand if you change choes frequently I would go with a clear grease like Super-lube. That will work while you walk between stations.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ultrsonic parts cleaner. Just about any fluid will work, dawn and water worked for me. Stick the choke end in past the threads and run it a couple of cycles. Was a friends old gun, mine always get anti-seize. The anti-seize works by having metal flakes suspended in grease. When the choke is tightened the metal flakes are compressed and help the choke from backing out as well as keeping gases and carbon out. The anti-seize also helps keep water out. When it comes time to change chokes the metal flakes shear easily and the chokes come out fine. It can be a bit messy if you us too much, the only amount that makes a difference is the bit on the threads so if starts squeezing out your using too much. I usually keep Lt. Mod. in both barrels and rarely change them so the messy bit is a none issue. On the other hand if you change choes frequently I would go with a clear grease like Super-lube. That will work while you walk between stations.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I would be very careful with heat. I do not know if other replies considered that this is a fiberglass barrel with only a thin steel liner.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I would be very careful with heat. I do not know if other replies considered that this is a fiberglass barrel with only a thin steel liner.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
marsingbob said:
Very careful indeed

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
marsingbob said:
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............................................

No kidding, I had no idea this was done....................... Yes, the blow dryer ducted down the barrel would be better than any heating from outside (the fiberglass will act as an insulation).

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My father in law brought me the barrel off of his model 59 ,choke was froze in. I filled a tall pill bottle with Kroil and stood the bbl. on end in the bottle for 2 days. the choke came out as if there was never an issue.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Midway sells a tool made by 100 Straight for stuck chokes. I got the head only & rigged up a tool to use it with. Very effective.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts