Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had screw-in chokes before. What is the best lube to use on them? Would Permatex Anti-Seize High Temp work? Or plain gun oil?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
a heavier lube like a/s or grease may help keep them tight, and if you arent going to clean the threads often----use grease. otherwise a coat of break free/other oil is plenty.

the heavier the lube the more difficult spinning them becomes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use STP oil treatment on choke tubes and hinges of my O/U's. Wouldn't recommend antiseize. Gun oil is OK as long as you remove the tubes and clean and re-oil regularly. There is special grease made for choke tube lube, never have tried it because I haven't had a problem with what I have been using. Whatever you use, some kind of lube is better than nothing at all.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
In twenty years of using choke tubes all I've ever used was plain old gun oil and never had a problem! 8)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been to a couple sporting goods stores and one gun shop locally. No one carries anything for chokes. One place said use anti-seize instead of oil. The other one said not to use anything but oil. The third said only use white grease. Right now I've cleaned the bore and the tubes with Hoppes #9 and used Rem Oil on the bore and threads.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Liquid Rem-oil out of the squeeze bottle will work fine, would caution against the aerosol, might be a bit light for choke tubes. Cleaning and re-oiling often is your best bet.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
walmart carries a choke tube grease---there is also a product sold as a tube lube that is nothing but permatex a/s---wouldn't hurt a thing, just a lttle heavy

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
RIG Universal or Rig +P Stainless Steel lube are available at most gun shops. I suspect that the choke tube grease that Briley sells is the same thing with a dye added to make it look different.

White Lithium is as good as anything and available at auto parts stores.

Permatex Anti-sieze and Birchwood-Casey choke tube lube will work well, but they are messy, and tend to stain your fingers, gun, clothes, face, car, and everything else you get close to. Or, maybe I'm just a messy person, I dunno.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
The Permatex an the Birchwood Casey choke tube lube is black an will get all over everything. Looks like it has graphite in it. I don't care for it for that reason. I use Tetra lube, a white lithum grease. Used to be sold at wallyworld.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Silver Pigeon III said:
I use STP oil treatment on choke tubes and hinges of my O/U's. Wouldn't recommend antiseize. Gun oil is OK as long as you remove the tubes and clean and re-oil regularly. There is special grease made for choke tube lube, never have tried it because I haven't had a problem with what I have been using. Whatever you use, some kind of lube is better than nothing at all.
Just an FYI that most of the special choke tube lube is basically antiseize. I know the stuff that Birchwood Casey sells is. As menioned, can get messy but I've had good results with it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
SShooterz,
I was thinking anti-seize was the same as "never-seize" the silver colored grease-like "substance" used when assembling dissimilar metals like aluminum/steel to prevent galvanic corrosion. Handling that stuff is like getting snot on a wool blanket, one dab on anything and it's EVEYWHERE. Hate to get something like that on a good gun case or clothes. Is this choke lube the same stuff?

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I suppose, as pointed out, that what you need to use depends on how often you pull and re-grease your chokes.

I'm basically a skeet shooter and these chokes (both on the barrel and the tube set) get a lot of rounds through them before they get pulled. The heat from shooting box after box on a warm summer day would drive out gun oil and leave a metal to metal suface that could bind.

I do use the Briley grease just because I have some. Any good bearing or heavy machine grease would do as well. Even so, I have occasionally had a hell of a time getting the chokes off of my Kolar tubes if they have been left on too long.

I have seen discussions of anti-seize on other sites with many recommending it. I would agree that its a mess, but its supposed to work pretty good, especially if you shoot enough to get that barrel good and hot. Apparently (according to these guys) anti-seize works because even if the grease gets driven out by heat, the particles remain (graphite and metallic powders particles are used in different anti-seize formulas) and keep the metal to metal contact from binding.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Silver Pigeon III said:
SShooterz,
I was thinking anti-seize was the same as "never-seize" the silver colored grease-like "substance" used when assembling dissimilar metals like aluminum/steel to prevent galvanic corrosion. Handling that stuff is like getting snot on a wool blanket, one dab on anything and it's EVEYWHERE. Hate to get something like that on a good gun case or clothes. Is this choke lube the same stuff?
Yeah, it's basically the same thing. Get some on your hands and they're silver for a week. I put just enough so that the chokes thread in nice and smooth.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SShooterZ said:
Yeah, it's basically the same thing. Get some on your hands and they're silver for a week. I put just enough so that the chokes thread in nice and smooth.
I hear Ya. The first time I cleaned it I used Anti-Seize silver and got that stuff all over everything. The second time I used Rem-Oil.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Anti-Seize/Never-Seize is messy and unnecessary, especially if you clean/lube your choke tubes after each session. I prefer S.T.O.S., which works great and is not at all messy.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I pull my tubes and drop them into an empty shell box, spray with CLP until wet and gently roll them back and forth in the puddle in the bottom of the box. Wipe dry with a patch and screw them back in. Works great and minimal mess.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I will go with RUT: I use STOS on my choke tubes because I carry it to lube the hinge pins and various moving parts of my O/U prior to shooting. I have used anti seize and it worked fine, but I too, hate trying to clean up after using it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My choke tubes tend to loosen up after a few sporting clays stations so I use a white lith grease and it helps keep them in snug. If I didn't do so much shooting I would probably use a regular gun oil (triflow or breakfree) on my tubes.

FYI: When I was shopping around for choke tubes on the internet I found one company said use grease and another recommeded gun oil so it appears to be personal preference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts