Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a barrel from a Beretta A400 Extreme Unico. Originally it was a 28” but has been cut to 24” and threaded for Rem Choke tubes. Arrived with a Rem Choke installed but also with two Blaser Spectrum tubes included. The Blaser tubes thread in perfect. Has anyone seen this before. TIA!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently purchased a barrel from a Beretta A400 Extreme Unico. Originally it was a 28” but has been cut to 24” and threaded for Rem Choke tubes. Arrived with a Rem Choke installed but also with two Blaser Spectrum tubes included. The Blaser tubes thread in perfect. Has anyone seen this before. TIA!
A Beretta that has been cut and rethreaded with Rem chokes??? Never. Why in the world would someone do that? I could not find anything that would indicate there is any interchange between Rem chokes and Blaser chokes, but if they do, good for you!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think blasers may have the same threads as remchokes but actually be bored to a different diameter. So the inside is different.

But with a cut off barrel, they may have matched up perfectly. I would check if there is a difference or not on the inside diameter of the end of the chokes that go into the gun first.

·
Premium Member
20,007 Posts
I have some Remchokes in 12 gauge. I just measured the outside diameter of the threaded area of one of the chokes and got 0.809". I think that the recommended minimum thickness of the barrel wall is at least 0.020" (on each side) greater than the thread OD. So, this would mean that your barrel OD in the threaded area should be at least 0.849". And that's assuming that the threading for the new chokes was done correctly and not off-center.

How about measuring the OD of your barrel in the area of the choke threads and let us know what you find?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think blasers may have the same threads as remchokes but actually be bored to a different diameter. So the inside is different.
Don't know about subgages, but a quick check of a SK, IC and MOD chokes from a 12 ga 11-87 and my F3 shows Blaser and RemChokes to be identical and interchangeable within my 2 guns.

·
Registered
809 Posts
In 12 gauge I think Blaser's standard bore is .735 and remingtons is around .727

They can be the same OD and same threads but be set up for differently bored barrels, which could be bad if you had a step/lip where the choke mates up with the bore.

·
Premium Member
20,007 Posts
In 12 gauge I think Blaser's standard bore is .735 and remingtons is around .727

They can be the same OD and same threads but be set up for differently bored barrels, which could be bad if you had a step/lip where the choke mates up with the bore.
Excellent point. Before using ANY choke tube in any shotgun of mine, I always check that the lip of the choke doesn't protrude into the bore beyond the choke ledge in the barrels . It's easy to check this out with a stiff wire such as a paper clip that is straightened out. Insert the wire into the muzzle end and "feel" all the way around the junction of the choke lip and the choke ledge in the barrel. You should be able to feel the ledge all the way around the choke tube. If you can't, then the choke tube likely is protruding into the bore and that's not good.

EDIT: When doing this "feel" test with a stiff wire, it should be done with the choke tube installed!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I will have the barrel and tubes measured at a local
machine shop. I’ll check the the interior of the muzzle for the step this morning.

·
Registered
477 Posts

Both the RemChokes and the Blaser chokes measure .742 at the lip of the choke where it mates to the bore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts