Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad picked up a used 20 gage Weatherby Orion O/U for Mom. As it was a used gun it only came with an Improved Cylinder and Modified Choke Tube. Dad wanted to get a Full, Impove Modified and possible a skeet tube for it. I think it takes the 11/16 X 32 choke tubes that will also work in most Winchesters, Mossburgs and SKB. It this the correct size/type? What would you guys recomend as a brand of choke tubes for this gun? Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Matt

·
Premium Member
19,768 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about the brand name of the chokes. I purchased some from http://www.gamaliel.com and they worked just fine. I think they may be Hastings brand, but I'm not sure. It will tell you in the catalog what guns they are made to fit. If it says Weatherby 20 gauge, then it should fit your gun.

P.S. Why bother getting an Improved Modified choke? There is really little difference between the patterns of modified chokes and full chokes in most guns and loads, so why bother to try to split this difference? I would opt to get a light modified or perhaps an extra skeet or improved cylinder. But it's your money, so buy whatever you like. :lol:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say you don't see much patern difference between Full and Imp. Mod. are you talking just 20 gage. This is the first 20 gage me or Dad has had. With my 12 gage Browing I do notice a difference between Mod, Imp. Mod, and Full choke especially when shooting trap loads. Do the smaller gage see less effect from difference in choke diameter?

Matt

·
Premium Member
19,768 Posts
With the smaller gauges, it takes less constriction of the choke to produce a tighter pattern.

When you say that you notice a difference between mod, IM, and full, what are you basing that on? I'm referring to patterns on paper. Typically mod produces 60% patterns in 30" circles at 40 yards while full produces 70% patterns. An IM would split this difference. Personally, I don't see the need to have a separate choke for only a 5% difference in pattern count in a 30" circle.

Patterns, of course, are also very much affected by DISTANCE. The longer the shot, the more open the pattern. A difference of 5% in pattern density can be achieved by as little as 2 or 3 yards difference in distance. Also, different loads can vary the pattern density even more than 5% with the same choke, same gun, and same distance. And finally, you can have a 5% or greater variance in pattern density from shot to shot with the same load, same gun, same choke, and same distance.

So, shotgun shooting is not the same (consistency wise) as rifle shooting. There will be variations from shot to shot regardless what we do. Attempts to try to be too precise are just mind games, IMO. I advocate picking a choke and load that is reasonable for the shot and concentrate on making the shot, not worrying about whether the choke in your gun is going to produce a 60% pattern versus a 65% pattern.

·
Registered
285 Posts
What Ulysses says is correct. Not many of us (if any at all) can tell when we pull the trigger if the target is 31 yards away or 36 yards--think about your trap shooting with a slight right bird.

However, shotgunning is also about the mind. If you think something you use gives you a better result and you are happy with it--use it.

If splitting the difference makes you feel like you are doing better and you can afford it--then do it, it won't hurt!

Confidence is an amazing "aftermarket add on" in shotgunning.

·
Premium Member
19,768 Posts
Talking about "unneeded and contributing nothing", I think that our Guest wins first prize in that category.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
mcbirch - I have a Weatherby Orion Upland and it came with short flush Briley chokes. If you want longer flush mount chokes or extended, and or ported, contact Brileys.

·
Premium Member
19,768 Posts
4th. down said:
mcbirch - I have a Weatherby Orion Upland and it came with short flush Briley chokes. If you want longer flush mount chokes or extended, and or ported, contact Brileys.
Whatever length of flush choke tubes came with the gun is the only length of FLUSH tubes that will fit the gun. Any other length would have to be EXTENDED choke tubes. Trulock also sells choke tubes (both flush and extended) that will fit the gun and work very well. I believe that Hastings also sells choke tubes to fit this gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.