Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I was just wondering the basic order of chokes. I received five different choke tubes with my 391 and know that full is the tightest and skeet is the most open. Where do the others fit in? Is IC tighter than C or the other way around? I am assuming that the Improved is equates with "tighter", so the order of chokes from full to open would be:

Full
IM
M
IC
C
Skeet

Is this correct?

-R

G

·
You are correct - they are also designated by the number of notches in the end of the choke. Notice that with Beretta choke system, skeet is more open than cylinder. It actually has a negative value. This is explained in your owners manual.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Rocnerd,
Piranha has it right, and sounds like a Beretta guy too. Can never have enough of those.

Piranha, welcome to ShotgunWorld. I hope you register and stick around for a while.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is the correct order for the Beretta line of chokes, but not for others. Typically the order is:

Extra Full
Full
Improved Modified
Modified
Light Modified (about the same as Skeet #2)
Improved Cylinder
Skeet #1
Cylinder

Note that these are not the only established chokes, but merely the most common. Ultimately the best way to determine which choke offers more or less constriction is to pattern the load through the various chokes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts