Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife recently took possession of her grandfather's '54 Superposed. It's set up Full/Full, and we'd like to mod if for chokes without adversely affecting the value - granted most of the shotgun's value is sentimental. I'd be kicked out of the family if somebody goofed the job.

Options include: Mike Orlen, who carries high recommendations on this forum, MidwestGunWorks - briley retrofit (sticker shock here), Browning approved, I think.

Is it possible to put invector plus chokes in it? Mike uses Colonial Arms tubes - is that of concern vs. Briley or Browning chokes?

I appreciate your help.

LAXPatrick

·
Registered
28,161 Posts
No, you can't install Invector Plus chokes; if you don't want to destroy the value . . . leave it original. You can always shoot spreader loads if things are tighter than you'd like.

·
Registered
748 Posts
LAXP,
F&F sounds like a nice 30" trap gun - what is the configuration and in your opinion, what makes it valuable?

Is it in excellent, un-monkeyed condition?
Is it a high grade gun?

If it's an excellent condition Gr 1, then I think opening the chokes will take $2-$300 off the value and choke tubing it will take $5-$600 off the value. If you want to keep it as-is, hurray, but you will not go to the 3rd level of hell for opening the chokes and using it.

If it's been altered already (like so many SP trap guns have) then go ahead and open 'em up - Mike Orlen is the man.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I agree with Randy. I have one that is F/F and at first I thought as you. After going out and using the gun I found that if I worked a little harder on the shot and let the bird get out a bit, it was a blast. And boy does it pulverize clay targets in all the games. If you really are in tight cover, spreaders work great. GJ

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All very good points. It's seen some battle. Stock has plenty of scratches, so it's not super easy on the eyes. Blueing is as you would expect, with no rust spots or flaws, just what you'd expect from loving use and 53 years.

As has been very well pointed out, the primary "value" of this piece is as a family gun - and yes, Grandpa would likely want it to be put to use.

It's got 30" barrels, solid rib. It's had a morgan adjustable pad put on it, not sure if that's going to stay on. Wife could benefit from a slightly shorter LOP, I'd imagine, it's pretty darn close to my Lightning Sporting Clays, were hoping it was shorter since he was smaller in stature. But the Morgan pushes the LOP out a bit.

She shot remarkably well with it - serious dusting of clay that she didn't wait for. Would hate to see a pheasant or chuckar meet up with that fate, it'd be pasted.

She's new to clays - right now her primary fancy is trap. She's tried skeet, but that'll take some getting used to and I fear that the gun in its current configuration would be tough. I could also see doing sporting clays as we have a course a couple of miles from our home.

So - if she was going to keep focusing on trap and backyard shooting, I agree that leaving it as is would be ideal. Since the LOP is not ideal for her, I'm now considering keeping it as-is, and trying to find her a gun with tubes that fits for more versatility. Then she can use the superposed for trap, the other for everything else. If budget allows, of course.

Many thanks for your responses and insight,

Patrick

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'd probably leave it the way it is. Pattern it and see what happens. It might not be as tight as you think. If you really want something to shoot clays with, get another gun. Maybe a Cynergy that you can adjust the stock with would be a good choice. I'd save Grampa's for the special hunting trips. I hunt with an old model 70 that belonged to my uncle and I cant tell you the great memories that come to mind when I take her out in the field.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.