Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2,574 Posts
Usually, not always.

Beretta fixed skeet and Euro-skeet have negative construction.

Winchester SX-1 skeet chokes and improved cylinder and were the same.

Belgium Browning Skeet chokes were a bit tight, Citori screw-in Skeet tended to be a bit more open.

Practical performance on the skeet field was about the same.

Skeet falls between cylinder (no choke) and improved cylinder. Here's a chart, that I blatantly stole from the internet. haha
View attachment 63291

· Registered
215 Posts
If you want to get scientific about it. You could always pattern at 20-30 yards ensuring you are getting the full 40 inch pattern and count the pellets. Different discipline for me but i always want to ensure the best pattern at the distances i'm shooting. No fringe pattern hits (golden pellet)...

· Registered
158 Posts
I Normally shoot skeet with skeet chokes
Is a Cylinder or Improved cylinder more open
Thanks
Shooting Beretta A400 Multi Target .
are you thinking of changing chokes to get a bigger pattern/more hits ??

chokes give you inches, most people miss by feet,

if you're trying to hit more targets spend time at the patterning board, make sure you gun shoots where you look and focus on your gun mount / shooting routine, if anything I might tell you to shoot a tighter choke to make you more aware of your process and taking any "lucky" hits out of the equation,

If you're just out there to have fun, don't worry about your choke selection, have fun shooting

· Registered
2,574 Posts
chokes give you inches, most people miss by feet,
This is a skeet forum. IMHO there are not many skeet targets missed by feet.

No skeet choke is perfect for every skeet target simply because skeet targets are broken from 10 feet to 60+ feet. The best choke for H2/L6 will not be the best choke for L3/H5.

· Registered
1,873 Posts
This is a skeet forum. IMHO there are not many skeet targets missed by feet.

No skeet choke is perfect for every skeet target simply because skeet targets are broken from 10 feet to 60+ feet. The best choke for H2/L6 will not be the best choke for L3/H5.
I have to agree with this. I shot skeet this past weekend and saw several birds where dust came off but not a visible piece. I don't know what chokes and loads the others were using when this happened but it counted as a miss and it wasn't by feet.

As for me, when I use my 20 gauge O/U with 7/8 ounce loads (usually #8s as #9s are sometimes hard to find), I have tried two different combinations of choke. I have tried shooting skeet choke at the outgoing target and cylinder choke at the incoming target. I have also tried shooting improved cylinder choke at the outgoing target and skeet choke at the incoming target. The tighter choke combination produces better results than the more open choke combination. In J.Fred_Muggs example, that would mean shooting improved cylinder at H2/L6 and skeet choke for L3/H5. In reality, I should just buy another skeet choke and shoot skeet in both barrels but I'm cheap and don't find improved cylinder to be any big handicap for the informal shooting that I do.

· Registered
724 Posts
My Xcel euro skeet choke is a negative restriction. When I patterned it at 30 yards . It patterned the same as the cylinder ckoke.
Bingo.

People call it "negative" choke when smoke and mirrors would be more accurate. Negative means the diameter at the muzzle is larger than (cylinder) bore diameter. What they lose sight of is the fact that there often is constriction .5 - 1 inch back from the muzzle and then the diameter increases at the muzzle. So, with the hour-glass shape inside the barrel, the choking has already taken effect.

I maintain it's a gimmick, no more provable to be advantageous than a "long parallel" section or porting.

Think about it ... why would .005" of "negative constriction" in the last 1/2" of barrel matter when the shot charge is about to encounter infinite negative constriction when it exits the muzzle?

One last note. Try cylinder choke and see if you like the results. If it worked for everybody, seems skeet choke would go away. Many years ago I spent a lot of time at the pattern board; most of it a waste. One thing I found (and wasn't the first to write about it) is that the first .003" of constriction versus true cylinder can have a profound effect on patterns. I learned to never eliminate all choke from a grouse/woodcock/bunny gun.

· Registered
724 Posts
The best choke for H2/L6 will not be the best choke for L3/H5.
True enough. And yet, a few 100x100's have been shot on the skeet field with autoloaders and one choke.

A few sporting tournaments have been won with an autoloader, despite using one choke on the combination of 15 yd and 50 yd targets in a pair.

· Registered
2,106 Posts
Shooting skeet with a Sk choke for the outgoers and Cyl for the incomers works. So does shooting them with Sk/Sk. Same thing for Sk/IC or Cyl/IC, shooting the tighter choke on the outgoers and crossers. The questions are: What will work best for you?, and, Does it make any difference at all? This depends on how far out you let the outgoers and crossers go before shooting at them and how good you are at hitting those incomers.

I used to shoot Cyl/Sk chokes at skeet years ago and then I switched to Sk/Sk. and there was no difference in my scores. Since I hit the outgoers and crossers at the stake, I have no need for an IC. On occasion we shoot a round of doubles and for that, Cyl/Sk wouldn't be the best choice for doubles on the crossers. Sk/Sk does well for me on doubles. I would suggest to anyone who lets the targets get out past the stake on outgoes or crossers to change their break points to closer to the stake rather than tighten up their chokes. If someone was struggling with hitting the incomers or station 8 shots, they can certainly try a Cyl choke and see if that makes a difference. However, I think most people miss those targets by lifting their heads or stopping their swing. Switching to a more open choke won't change that.

· Registered
2,574 Posts
True enough. And yet, a few 100x100's have been shot on the skeet field with autoloaders and one choke.

A few sporting tournaments have been won with an autoloader, despite using one choke on the combination of 15 yd and 50 yd targets in a pair.
I believe you misunderstood my point. That point being that no choke will be optimum for all the shots on a skeet fields. All will be better on some targets, less so on others.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts