Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2,106 Posts
If you are looking to improve your skeet scores I suggest practicing with a modified choke. It will be harder to hit most of the targets but once you get a round of skeet mostly perfected with a modified choke, the results you should see when returning to a skeet choke should be markedly improved.
Same goes for practicing with a .410.

· Registered
557 Posts
If you could remove the mental aspect from the equation, how much of a difference does choke constriction actually make in the game of skeet ? How many birds out of 100 would a full choke cost the average shooter ? Or the AA shooter for that matter ?

· Registered
6,520 Posts
If you could remove the mental aspect from the equation, how much of a difference does choke constriction actually make in the game of skeet ? How many birds out of 100 would a full choke cost the average shooter ? Or the AA shooter for that matter ?
A full choke would cost them quite a few. And a Mod would cost a couple out of 100. Imp Cyl, not really anything.

· Registered
2,574 Posts
I have the percentages needed for optimum patterns* with #9 shot in the various skeet gauges.

I've patterned AND COUNTED PELLET HOLES a lot with the 410, some in the other skeet gauges.

I found the standard .005 SKEET CHOKES always produced patterns in the optimum range. That should save some a lot of effort.

*Calculated by Shotgun Ballistics for Windows.

· Registered
810 Posts
Skeet. Another case of way over thinking things. Time spent mentally masticating the various constriction options is better spent working on positioning, gun mount and shooting a few targets.

· Registered
434 Posts
The only time that another choke MIGHT help is if you're shooting reduced loads of #7.5 shot. (3/4oz, 7/8 etc). Anything 1oz+ of 9s and SK or Cyl will be fine.

I will say I had one 20ga wad that had an awful pattern in my reloads, glad I had patterned it, and I know not to use it now.

The only gauge I don't use SK chokes is .410. My 28 ga is still a work in progress and I may run SK/IC next year.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

· Registered
58 Posts
The only time that another choke MIGHT help is if you're shooting reduced loads of #7.5 shot. (3/4oz, 7/8 etc). Anything 1oz+ of 9s and SK or Cyl will be fine.

I will say I had one 20ga wad that had an awful pattern in my reloads, glad I had patterned it, and I know not to use it now.

The only gauge I don't use SK chokes is .410. My 28 ga is still a work in progress and I may run SK/IC next year.

What is your choice for the 410? I am thinking about opening up some .025" 410 barrels to .012" or .008" constriction.

· Registered
1,032 Posts
I do 70% of my practice with the 410 using a Skeet Improved extended choke from Briley's on both barrels. The reason for this is because I had some misses on Hi 1 with my Shotcam mounted and those videos showed the shot string dead center on the target until the resolution limit for #9 shot was reached and the shot disappeared. BTW, that point is even with the corner of the low house by my eyeball estimate. What happened was that the shot string spread out enough that I was shooting holes at the target. With the Skeet Improved chokes those misses do not happen.

I also have Skeet Improved on my 28 gauge barrel set. While I could use Skeet chokes for the 28 they are internal and the 410/28 is a 2 barrel set and I like both barrels to match.

For the 20 gauge I have Improved Cylinder mounted. Beretta does not offer internal Skeet chokes for the 20 gauge optima HP barrels so the choice is either Cylinder or Improved Cylinder. I prefer the Improved cylinder simply because it just rushes the targets.

The 12 gauge also gets Improved Cylinder if I'm shooting my 686, if I am shooting my Citori it's Skeet chokes because that gun was purchased used and came with 3 sets of Skeet chokes.

· Registered
6,520 Posts
I do 70% of my practice with the 410 using a Skeet Improved extended choke from Briley's on both barrels. The reason for this is because I had some misses on Hi 1 with my Shotcam mounted and those videos showed the shot string dead center on the target until the resolution limit for #9 shot was reached and the shot disappeared. BTW, that point is even with the corner of the low house by my eyeball estimate. What happened was that the shot string spread out enough that I was shooting holes at the target.
why are you letting high 1 get out that far before shooting?

· Registered
434 Posts
What is your choice for the 410? I am thinking about opening up some .025" 410 barrels to .012" or .008" constriction.
Mine have a constriction of .009, I would say they are just a tad on the tight side, .008 would be about perfect I believe. But, mine hit targets hard and give me confidence, which is what the .410 game is all about. These are with my reloads which are running just about 1300fps.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts