Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was recently purchasing some chokes online when the place that I was purchasing them said they had a new "deal" on "waterfowl ONLY chokes" and when I went to click on them to see what the "deal" was all about, I noticed that the chokes were all Full chokes.

My question is what is the preferd choke tube for waterfowl (mostly geese, with ducks in there as well) that a hunter should be using?

I have a semi-auto so I can't stick 2 chokes like if I had an O/U, and thought that Mod would be the best choke, however when I saw these "waterfowl only's" at the Full choke, it made me wonder.

So my Q is, what chokes should a hunter use for waterfowl?

I know you have to pattern your gun (thats a given) but could someone point me in the right direction with a good waterfowl choke?

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I wonder if by saying "Waterfowl only" that they are assuming you will be shooting non-toxic shot and therefore, are really "modified" chokes, acting as full for non-toxic.

Who makes the chokes and what is the bore diameter? That would help alot.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Using steel shot you dont want a full choke. If you are using non-tox and shooting long go ahead.

George 8)

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I use Carlsons tubes myself but live about 20 miles from their shop. They offer a Steel shot line of tubes and I asked them about them one day. The close range is just an IC, the Medium range is a Mod and the long range is a full. The only difference is they are a dull black finish rather than the normal stainless. I personally use the mod in my guns almost all the time unless it will be pass shooting then I might pop in the full. Really close decoying birds and smaller ducks I like the IC. All are approved for steel and they even sell an extra full you can shoot steel out of that is no bigger than BB.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Pattern your factory tubes first before you spend the extra on a tube that may or may not improve you patterns. I have heard good things about SRM's (Sure Cycle) Terror Tubes if your factory tubes don't pattern well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I us a mod and an extended long range made by Carlson. i think it just depends how you shot more than anything. I like to put my bead right on the bird and squeeze the trigger. But i dont want to us a full or an extended long range when i know that there going to be in my face. Whenever it is one of those days where something is not right and the birds just dont want in there i put the full in. I dont think there is a right nor a wrong way. Its more about adapting to the situation

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These chokes were Trulock's and it just made me wonder.

I thought Mod chokes were the most constricted chokes someone could use when waterfowl hunting, which is why it baffled me when I saw them.

Basically a hunter is going to want to use a Mod choke for waterfowl then right?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Jack said:
These chokes were Trulock's and it just made me wonder.

I thought Mod chokes were the most constricted chokes someone could use when waterfowl hunting, which is why it baffled me when I saw them.

Basically a hunter is going to want to use a Mod choke for waterfowl then right?
Basically Chokes for steel marked "FULL" will pattern "MODIFIED" for lead & vice versa. Using standard chokes that come with your gun; stick with IMP CYL & MOD when using steel. YOU DO NOT NEED SPECIAL "STEEL" CHOKES.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Dawei you are incorrect at least as far as the Carlsons tubes go. Their close range is an IC their mid range is a Mod and their long range is a Full. The Ic is .715 , the Mod is .705 and the Full is .695, nothing larger than bb recomended. This is for the Benelli 12 ga.

I also have an extra full rated ok for steel no larger than bb that is constricted at .685. They also say not to shoot anything faster than 1500 fps through their extended tubes.

I do usually use the mod in my gun unless it will be pass shooting then I use the long range.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hey guys, I was recently purchasing some chokes online when the place that I was purchasing them said they had a new "deal" on "waterfowl ONLY chokes" and when I went to click on them to see what the "deal" was all about, I noticed that the chokes were all Full chokes.
What they mean by "waterfowl only" is that "we can sell you a choke marked "waterfowl only" for duck and goose hunting and then later sell you a second one of the same design marked "upland only" for all your upland hunting". :D :D :D

Save yourself some money and find a load that patterns well with your factory Mod choke and go hunt.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Be careful with those factory chokes also. Some are lead only and should be marked as such. I know all the chokes I have, both factory and third party are marked with what can be used with them.

I am not sure I buy the sell you a waterfowl then an upland later theory completely. I think 10 years back it might have been the case but with the technology involved today I think most of the choke manufactures are boring for specifics now.

Jack - I prefer an IC for up close and personal over decoys but most days I have a Modified in. The mod gives me the best all around performance for ducks and geese over decoys.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Chaco1 said:
Dawei you are incorrect at least as far as the Carlsons tubes go. Their close range is an IC their mid range is a Mod and their long range is a Full. The Ic is .715 , the Mod is .705 and the Full is .695, nothing larger than bb recomended. This is for the Benelli 12 ga.
Weird. For my Remington 870 the Carlson's extended "Full Steel" is .700 in., which is Imp Mod in the old lead designation, isn't it? Also, instead of saying you can't use larger than BB it says "larger than BB shouldn't be used in tighter than full." Might be a bit of difference for the different gun... :?: Well, I suppose their is, because I just looked at the Carlson's "Full Steel" for Mossberg 835 and it's .727 in. Are all these theoretically supposed to pattern the same? Ok, I'm gonna visit their website right now...

Later,
-Dave

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Researcher that is why I said the make of the gun each make is a little different. the Mossberg choke I have is actually .730 for full. But remember it is built on a 10 ga frame.

I put the nothing larger than bb after the full meaning for that constriction.

Looking at the reminton their full 12 ga for the long range steel and full is .700.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
ShotgunT said:
What they mean by "waterfowl only" is that "we can sell you a choke marked "waterfowl only" for duck and goose hunting and then later sell you a second one of the same design marked "upland only" for all your upland hunting". :D :D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It's funny when someone finally nails the truth.
I think you nailed it ShotgunT.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Yep it is purely marketing and the folks at Carlsons told me just that.

Biggest difference for me is the Steel chokes they sell are a black finish instead of the silver sporting clays tubes. SO I filled out my set with the silver SC tubes and painted them black.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I agree. A lot of hype done for marketing. The only reason I bought an aftermarket tube for my SX2 is to get a light modified. Unless you want a choke restriction you don't already have, stick with the OEM tubes. Chances are they will do just fine for most of your waterfowling needs. The pattern board will tell you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Chaco1 said:

I also have an extra full rated ok for steel no larger than bb that is constricted at .685. They also say not to shoot anything faster than 1500 fps through their extended tubes.

I do usually use the mod in my gun unless it will be pass shooting then I use the long range.
Steel, as a general rule, patterns tighter than lead. A standard MOD choke will pattern MOD with lead, but FULL with steel. A Waterfowl Steel choke marked FULL will pattern FULL with steel but MOD with lead. Using your logic you pay extra $$ for less of a product than came with the gun originally. If you use the standard factory tubes that come with your gun you have no such restrictions.

The only limitation on my choke tubes are the SUPER X-FULL tubes I use for turkey. These specifically state "DO NOT USE WITH STEEL SHOT".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts