Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a quick and simple question, but one I don't know the answer to! I have a Winchester 5500 Sporter (101 variant) with mulitchokes. I currently have a number of chokes, but was wondering what my pattern/spread would be like if I just took them out!? a) would the shot damage the threads that the chokes go in on, and b) would the shot spread mean that hitting anything over 10 yards not practical?

any help would be much appreciated!

Ben

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hey, if you want to shoot your gun without choke tubes be my guest. I bet you didnt read the owners manual about this did you. It probably would do damage to the threads, if not right away, sooner or later. :shock:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Rosiesdad!

As I bought the gun used I did not get a owners manual. It was merely a question about whether it would be harmful to the gun, and if not, what the results would be like on the spread.

Thanks though,

Ben

·
Registered
161 Posts
benjjwilliams said:
Hey Rosiesdad!

As I bought the gun used I did not get a owners manual.

Thanks though,

Ben
Ben,

You can probably get an owners manual for free from the manufacturer. You may be able to order it right on line. I'm not sure if this is the right link but try

www.winchesterguns.com

If this isn't it go to the winchester ammo site and they have a link to guns.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
I've talked to several gun owners who say that they occasionally "shoot the threads" (shoot with the choke tubes out) with no apparent harm. However, it does result in accumulation of plastic from the wad on the threads. The patterns are about like shooting with a Cylinder choke in place. My personal opinion is that I don't recommend "shooting the threads" because there is little or no gain over simply putting in a Cylinder choke tube. Why risk damaging the threads or fouling up the threads when a Cylinder choke will give the same results with no risk of damage or fouling? Doesn't make sense to me, so I don't do it. Besides, it might mean I'd have to clean the threads and I sure as heck wouldn't want to do that. :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Many pro sporting clays shooters shooting multiple thousand dollar shotguns will shoot with the tubes out, you would think that they could afford an extra tube or two? :roll: But, the times I have seen it is when the shots were skeet distances and they had tighter tubes in to start, instead of swapping they just removed the tube all together. It shouldn't damage the threads with lead but it's not something you should do without the backing or experience.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the helpful posts. I won't be going ahead and 'shooting the threads' but was interested to see what it would do. As it happens, I just found 2 skeet tubes that came with the gun I had forgotten about. Off to the range!

Cheers all,

Ben

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am new to Shotgunning - looking for my first SGs. I actually had the same question in mind. I'm glad I came across this thread cuz I learning something new.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
For any of the new folks, many of these topics have been covered before. If you will try the "search" feature you can find all sorts of info that may answer questions that you have or better yet may bring out some new ones.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/search.php

G

·
Big Ben, don't shoot your gun with the chokes out. Install modified and modified and leave them in for a couple of weeks. Less to think about, plus you'll have the satisfaction of seeing a few ink spots. Digweed and Wendell Cherry shoot fixed choke guns, very tight constrictions and seem to do pretty good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.