Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, thanks for this site. I inherited an O/U from my grandfather and should have done all this while he was alive. Anyway, there are chokes that screw in to the barrell of the gun, they just screw in finger tight, no key . They are not stock. They are silver in color and they have no markings except Mod and L. Mod. My grandfather shot skeet religiously. I know this is not much to go on, but can someone:A) Identify these chokesB) 'School' me a little on Mod and L. Modthanks all,Hank.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
What kind of O/U? If they are not stock then it is likely that he had them added, so a gunsmith can match them with existing tubes. There are a couple of common tubes, one is a thinwall style that is used on guns that do not have much barrel material to thread and being an O/U there is a good chance that is what they could be...a good gunsmith can help tell exactly.Modified is generally thought to be a 60% pattern of shot in a 30" circle at 40 yds, Light Mod would be a 55% pattern of shot in a 30" circle at 40yds and is more open than Mod and a bit tighter than Improved Cylinder. With just some arbitrary numbers, with a mod choke a load that has 1000 pellets would have aprox 600 pellets in the circle. There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.Edited by: Rick618 at: 4/28/03 7:36:33 pm

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Have you checked the model and serial number on the id/info forum to see how old that it is? There is a fine line between hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I did and you guys were good enough to help there as well. My Grandfather had many VERY expensive shotguns -- unfortunately I never showed interest while he was alive. I grabbed this Browning because it didn't scare me to go shoot it. It is a very nice gun -- a Citori Gran Lightning -- just not a $50,000 showpiece. There are still many things I need to figure out about this sport -- I'm from Texas, so I know how to shoot, but chokes and the like are new to me. I need to find a place to practice and maybe I'll find my grandfather out there someday. Thanks for all your help,Hank.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Don't be ashamed to say you're from Texas.... unlike some people from your state (ditsy chicks), we won't hold it against you. :D Casual ShooterOne gun does it all when one gun is all you have!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.