Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired an LIG 20 ga shotgun.It is stamped MERCURY MAGNUM.It has deep releif engraving,& is engraved on the sides with a snail type motif Also engraved on bottom of receiver with flying duck & mountains & other engraving.My questin is=The barrels are stamped,left-14.6 over 15.8.right is=14.7 over 15.8.I assume these are metric designations for bore & choke.15.8 coverted to thousandths =.575 left & .579 right..622 bore.A 20 ga is .620,so the metric 15.8 =.622.Close enough.However-both barrels would be choked tighter than extra full! Also,the barrels are 28" with a beavertail forend.Trap gun?

·
Registered
266 Posts
My first impression was to agree that the guns were way beyond extra-full. However, companies could use any marking system that suited them. Unless we have a reader with direct knowledge of the LIG system, my GUESS is that the guns are as marked... without a multiplier, 11 thousandths and 12 thousandths. This is one of those situations where paying for the use of a good dialing choke gauge will save you a lot of time. One thing further, if you actually had a 20 gauge so dramatically over-choked as to have 12 gauge constriction, you could look down the end of the barrel and see something was out of whack.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
Have you patterned it yet to see what you actually get for a pattern? In 20, I doubt it was designed as a trap gun. Many times makers leave the barrels as F or XF so the owner can have them opened to their own specification - that might explain it.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
The chokes may have already been opened to something like IC/Mod. If you have access to a dial bore gauge that could tell the story. Patterning with the loads you intend to shoot in the gun will also tell you how it is choked, and should be done even if you check it with a gauge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.