Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to shooting and was owndering if you guys can explain all the different chokes? I'm guessing they obviously change how tight the shot is, how far, etc etc, but which is which??

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, well I have a question.. Why would someone want a smaller choke that would limit how far away youcould get a kill shot? Reduce bullet damage to bird? Why wouldnt waterfowlers be using turkey choke to reach out to those ducks instead of using those 10g/12ga3.5s?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Arin,

Chokes are generally tight (called full, turkey, xtra-full) or open (cylinder, skeet, I/C).

A choke does not really allow one to make longer shots but controls that distance at which the pattern has it's widest spread.

A skeet or and I/C choke is useful between 15 and 25 yards or so. A full choke is good to 40-50 yards with the right shot and shooter.

Turkey hunters are most often interested in head shots at targets on the ground, so they are looking for the most shot and the least possible spread.

Most other shotgun hunters/shooters are interested in an even pattern (no holes for a target to fly through) at the range they most comonly engage thier quarry or target.

I'd use an I/C or Skeet choke on quail or ruffed grouse, a modifed choke on most phesants or decoyed ducks and a choke with more than modified on pass shooting ducks or geese. Skeet: a skeet choke or cylinder, Trap full or Modified. Sporting Clays Skeet and LM or I/C and MOD.

However, longer range waterfowl shooting is a whole new area for which I have only limited expertise.

Hope this helped,

FS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.