Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody measured the standard 5 Yildiz chokes? I just would like to know which one are which I understand more marks = more open chokes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
5 = skeet
4 = Imp Cyl
3 = Mod
2 = Full
1 = Xfull

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
10gaOkie said:
5 = skeet
4 = Imp Cyl
3 = Mod
2 = Full
1 = Xfull

Chris
Can someone please explain what the differences are for each of these chokes? What exactly do they do? Sorry I'm new to this...

·
Registered
296 Posts
narfmasta said:
10gaOkie said:
5 = skeet
4 = Imp Cyl
3 = Mod
2 = Full
1 = Xfull

Chris
Can someone please explain what the differences are for each of these chokes? What exactly do they do? Sorry I'm new to this...
as you go from 5 to 1...the pattern from your gun becomes more concentrated(less spread out)....therefore your effective range is shorter for more spread out patterns....5(skeet) would be better for close range shots(more spread out)...while a Full choke would be better for a longer shot(more concentrated)

·
Registered
296 Posts
10gaOkie said:
5 = skeet
4 = Imp Cyl
3 = Mod
2 = Full
1 = Xfull

Chris
Chris...are you sure about the Full then XFull??...I would have thought it would be 2=Imp Mod and 1=Full...I haven't measured anything I just think that's a more common progression than Full to X Full...I certainly could be wrong though...it's happened once before :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pharmr said:
narfmasta said:
10gaOkie said:
5 = skeet
4 = Imp Cyl
3 = Mod
2 = Full
1 = Xfull

Chris
as you go from 5 to 1...the pattern from your gun becomes more concentrated(less spread out)....therefore your effective range is shorter for more spread out patterns....5(skeet) would be better for close range shots(more spread out)...while a Full choke would be better for a longer shot(more concentrated)
So what combination would you recommend for skeet and what would you recommend for trap? Again, thanks for the help I've learned a lot already from you guys! :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
For skeet, 5 and 4, 5 for first barrel shot, 4 for the second.

For trap, 4 and 3 or 3 and 2, as your range is going to be greater. You may have to experiment there to see which combo you like best. But as at trap you are always shooting singles (five shots from each station) you get to stick with a single choke you like best if you always shoot the same barrel.

Since you shoot singles and doubles at skeet, I'd recommend picking up an extra skeet choke so you can keep the most open pattern for both shots. Academy should have extra Briley chokes for the Y guns for $15.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pharmr said:
10gaOkie said:
5 = skeet
4 = Imp Cyl
3 = Mod
2 = Full
1 = Xfull

Chris
Chris...are you sure about the Full then XFull??...I would have thought it would be 2=Imp Mod and 1=Full...I haven't measured anything I just think that's a more common progression than Full to X Full...I certainly could be wrong though...it's happened once before :wink:
Briley's "Full" choke is marked with 1 isn't it? Got to check at lunch.
I thought 2-Imp. Mod, 1 - Full.
Not that it matters after you pattern them both :) .

·
Registered
296 Posts
So what combination would you recommend for skeet and what would you recommend for trap? Again, thanks for the help I've learned a lot already from you guys! :D
For skeet I have an extra skt choke I got at Academy and I shoot Skt/Skt...I dont shoot trap but I'd probably shoot IC/Mod or even IC/IC

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a gunsmith tell me that my Y gun choke looks like a browning. He didn't have a 20 to check the fit. Can anyone confirm that. I want extended chokes for mine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
boboh110 said:
I had a gunsmith tell me that my Y gun choke looks like a browning. He didn't have a 20 to check the fit. Can anyone confirm that. I want extended chokes for mine.
I've got a friend with a browning...I'll check it out next time I shoot with him...don't ever know when that's going to happen though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts