Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hunted for years (pheasant and dove) with a Reminton 870 Wingaster(full choke) and have just purchased a new Reminton 1100. Would you recommend an improved cylider or modified choke for upland birds?

Thanks

G

·
Congrats Guy, on the new gun purchase.

Regarding your question? There is no "one answer fits all." You need to choose whatever choke (are you using Remchokes, I'm guessing?) you believe will work for you, based on the game you're hunting and range of your shots, and somewhat according to the pellet size and load you're using.

If I was starting out really vague with what I might need in a gun like your M1100, MODIFIED might be a good all-around compromise choice until you know more of what will work better. After shooting at whatever you're hunting (doves and pheasants only?), you can better anticipate what your shots will be like and plan for them.

What are you hunting for? Anything besides doves and pheasants? And how far are your shots, usually?

If you're hunting doves over a waterhole, IC might serve you well, but if you're only pass-shooting at doves, maybe FULL is the better choice, especially if shots are past 35-40 yards. For years when dove hunting with my dad in Florida, MODIFIED was a good all around choice. We had many different types of shots during a shoot, where they were sometimes close and the next far away.

For pheasants: Over a dog where the birds hold well, IC might be really good. But wildly flushing birds especially during a pheasant drive might require FULL choke to really bag Mr Rooster. And there's all sorts of sacenarios in between.

Between this board and another I go to, #5's have been really popular out of MODIFIED and FULL choked barrels. Most Pheasant hunters I know choose #6's most often, and even 7 1/2's frequently, but these would be for closer-in situations too, where a more open choke is an advantage.

What are your shots like? At what game? And how far? What loads do you shoot?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Improved is my preferred choke unless I'm shooting prairie birds WAY out there or doves at the edge of space.

A light modified choke is a great investment for those wild flushing pheasants and generally patterns very well with #5 shot and steel if you have wetlands you hunt.

2cents for free.

G

·
Thanks for your replies. I generally have used #6 shot out of my 40 year old full choke Wingmaster for wild flushing pheasant and that has served me well until recent years.... my eyesight and reflexes aren't as goodas they were at one time. #7-71/2 shot has served me well with dove over water; but, once again slower reflexes and weaker eyesite have caught up with me. I never had the barrell threaded for using other chokes on my Wingmaster, so I generally made do with what I had. With the new gun, it's gonna be interesting to experiment and see what I end up using.

Guy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts