Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Im a newbie in this forum and Im from the Philippines. Im not new to firearms and I have been shooting guns for 20 years. My dada started me at very young age. I would like to ask some opinions about a chop job project I have in mind. Not to worry, I have checked with our laws here in my country and Im sure that this kind of chop job is legal for us. I want to convert an over/under or a side-by-side shotgun into sawed off configuration for use primarily for stashing in my car. To give you a better idea of what Im talking about this is the picture that I have in mind.

Anybody think this is a stupid idea?

If you think I have started here an illegal thread, maybe the mods can delete this one.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
860 Posts
darwin25 said:
I want to convert an over/under or a side-by-side shotgun into sawed off configuration for use primarily for stashing in my car.
If its that bad where you live then move. :shock: :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Obviously you don't know much about firearms...

Your shotgun barrel can't be less than 18 inches ubless you have the proper license and paper work...

If you cut a shotgun down to what you had in the picture you would be asking for some hefty fines and prison time.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Your shotgun barrel can't be less than 18 inches ubless you have the proper license and paper work...
You must have missed the part where he said he lives in the Phillipines...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Darwin25,
For starters, I'll apologize for the attitude you've received thus far.
Concerning the idea you've got for that gun, I wouldn't. You'll soon discover that the gun is uncontrollable when fired. I would leave the stock intact, and shorten the barrels only, if anything. If that leaves the gun too long for easy concealment, I'd trade it for, or buy, a handgun.
Luck,
Jim

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Salmoneye said:
You must have missed the part where he said he lives in the Phillipines...
My apologies, but I am still somewhat biased to SBS.

They will be hard to be controlled.

If you do want to do it a piece of tap around the barrel to use as a straight line will help. Use a file to clean up the burrs, and touch up with some blueing. It will depend on the stock and how it is attached to the firearm.

Are handguns available or legal in the Phillipines? I think they may prove to be a better choice...

I hope you have VERY strong wrists because they will hurt if you fire this thing.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I actually fired one of those sawed off shotguns years ago. If you're right handed, you hold the pistol grip FIRMLY with your right hand an put your left hand FIRMLY on the TOP side of the barrels. Hold it out waist high, about a foot from you, when you pull the trigger. Even then, IT AIN'T NO FUN TO SHOOT. On top of that, you can't hit jack sh*t with it.

Best thing you can do is leave it alone.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Darwin,
Its been awhile since I have been in the Phils, hope to get back there sometime. If the budget permits (or if you can locate a willing local craftman who can make a facsimile), look into having a collapsible or folding stock put on rather than "chopping" down the stock. While not as compact, it should be reasonably portable and give you far better control in case you need to touch off a few rounds

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
welcome to the site!

i had a chance to use a short barrelled shotgun much like the one you plan on making. it was fun for a while, but it is hard to aim and control. on top of that, my hand really started to hurt after a few shots. if you do cut down the barrells, leave the stock. with a buttstock, you'll have much better control over the gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks evrybody for the replies.

Actually all kinds of handguns of any caliber are legal here in our country and we can be issued a concealed carry permit. But for long guns, we are only allowed to own .22LR and .22 Magnum and shotguns of any length and configuration without hassle. Centerfire long guns can be licensed to civilians too but it can be costly. I myself own a couple of pistols and long guns. But Im a newbie to shotguns.

Okay guys I'll leave the shotgun alone in its original config. Maybe I'll just get a short barelled pump gun for the car later. But for now I guess my shortened M1 carbine loaded with softpoints will do for car duty.

Actually its that bad where I live. And unfortunately, I can't move. There's nowhere else for me to go. Basically Manila is the only place in the country to have a modestly paying job. I live in Manila actually. Carjackings are very rampant and bad guys are armed with long guns all the time. I just want something handy but with serious stopping power to replace my WWII vintage M1 carbine.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Get some soft points for the carbine...

They are better on 'soft-skinned' animals and worse on penetrating car doors, so there is a tradeoff...

There is nothing wrong with an M1 Carbine for defense(I have an IBM by the bed)...Handy and pointable, and can carry a whack of ammo in a small magazine...I have from 5 round to 30 round mags, and all function flawlessly to the last round...

I can not imagine 'cutting' one down what with the collectibility and current prices on WWII vintage guns and parts...

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I kinda like Short Barreled shotguns, I have a couple. The biggest thing I don't like about side by sides or single shots is the breakdown lever tends to bite the web of my hand especially if I hold it at waist level.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Welcome to Shotgun world. Don't be put off by the wingshooting snobs around here that may not appreciate the beauty of a fine sawed-off shotgun.

However, before you run and take your hack saw to the stock and barrel of your double gun, allow me to give some some pointers. First, sawing your stock off behind the pistol grip and wrapping the rough wooden stump with duct tape simply will not do. May I recommend Rich Cole, who has a lovely selection of high grade wood sets. Nothing will set off your car-gun like a nicely figured piece of oil finished walnut.

While your at it, a trip to the engraver would not hurt. Just cuz you got a gangstah gun, doesn't mean it has to look "ghetto". Now, for receiver finish, I'm thinking either a subdued and always classy case hardened finish...or for that extra bling-bling...maybe a full on rich silver engraving in relief. Might I recommend Vasco Revera of Gardonne Italy. I can assure you he would find your "chop-job" project a whimsical distraction from toiling over Italian Best Guns. Wait one New York minute......are you thinking what I'm thinking....spelling out your initials in diamond studs on the reciever...hmmmm?

Now, a very important question. Once your piece is properly circumsized, are you leaving the barrels unchoked in cylinder/cylinder configuration? I say, absolutely NOT! Let's do this right and send your project gun off to Briley for some thin wall choke tubes....ohhh la-la.

Lets face it. You can't always rely on the fact that your intended quarry will be in cylinder range. Like a late season dakota pheasant, your intended hit may flush out at 30 or even 40 yards. The discriminating gang-banger will want to be prepared. With a Briley choke job on your "sawed-off" you will be good to go, whether doing a close in drive by or a long distance dedication. While they are doing the barrel work, have them add a single diamond stud as the bead. Hold on. Hold on. Okay. Bear with me. Forget the diamond stud. You my friend are gonna love this. Talk about bling. Close your eyes and imagine this. The muzzle of your "chop job" crowned with a Mercedes hood ornament. Cha-chinggggggggg. I mean, lets face it, you arent going to need a real bead for aiming anyway. You will be shooting from the hip...and dare I say...shooting in style.

Finally, a custom set of sub-gauge tubes will, I think, finish off this project quite nicely. How nice to be able to take your street-sweepah to the gun club for a round of five stand and not go home with sore wrists and forearms. Besides, imagine the fun of a challenging driven junk yard rat shoot with your .410 tubes in. I think we might have to get you a British tweed cap, some shooting nickers and a moleskin vest.

Well my friend, our journey is through. Follow my advice and you will have the prettiest "chop job" in the hood. Just promise me that when you are done, you will post some pics here on the forum. God bless. God speed. And remember....don't hate the playah...hate the game.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
My "truck" gun is a my kid's old 1100 20Ga youth. Short barrel, took the plug out, and it fits under the seat. No mods needed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
:D Thank you Ducks Eliminated!!

I have not had such a good belly laugh in a long time :lol:

I had to wipe the tears to type this :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts