Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell if a shotgun barrel is chrome lined? What should I look for during inspection? Can a determination be made when looking down the barrel of a used shotgun with an uncleaned bore?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re; Chrome lined barrel,
Chrome is a very hard surface material. One fairly reliable test is this method: Get a small drill, say a 3/16 or 1/4 ", and turn it around with the non cutting end pointed out of your hand. If you have a choke tube or another piece of comparable barrel steel available that you know is not chrome plated, "lightly" attempt to scratch the surface of it somewhere of NO consequence. Then, perform this same scratch test on the chrome surface. You will IMMEDIATELY notice a difference between these two surfaces and the chrome one will be much harder and more resistant to any friction or scratching.
NOTE: Take is "easy" with the scratching part though.
Let us know how this works out for you fellow shotgunner!
Ray

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
I like Mike's idea best. I'd never scratch any shotgun barrel. Where is the location of "no consequence" inside a shotgun barrel? Any scratch will show up inside the bore. :roll:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Shoot a letter or make a phone call to the manufacturer of the firearm and ask them! Making mountains out of molehills again are we?

My Fausti has chromed lined bores, my Cynergy has chromed lined chambers...my question is: if they were chroming the chambers, why not just to the entire barrel?

Bob

·
1,204 Posts
It is actually a bit more difficult to chrome only the chambers...the chambers were plated in order to prevent corrosion....they did not do the bores for the simple reason that polished steel will outperform a chrome bore surface.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
mike orlen said:
It is actually a bit more difficult to chrome only the chambers...the chambers were plated in order to prevent corosion....they did not do the bores for the simple reason that polished steel will outperform a chrome bore surface.
Thanks Mike, didn't know that! Appreciate the info.

Bob

·
Registered
432 Posts
A5Guy,
I did not state to "scratch it", only that when you "lightly" contact the chrome surfaces with the dull edge you will immediately notice a difference in them.
If you test the chrome surface first again and with the dull & rounded edge , you will not be able to scratch it for chrome is so hard.
Like many folks, personally I don't prefer chrome lined barrels for the many reasons I know gunsmiths are well aware of too well.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mike,
just a question, in which aspects does a non-chromed polished bore outperform a chromed barrel? - Just curious. I don't think of corrosion resistance or performing barrel-work here, those points are clear. I have some chromed barrels which are real foulers and difficult to clean without the use of potent solvents, and others that clean well.

BG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.