Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering an inexpensive Remington Spartan 410 over under for my grandson. The dealer didn't have a 410 but he had a 20, that he said was nearly identical, for me to look at and play with. :D He CAUTIONED me that it had chrome lined bores :shock: and that if I shot much the bores would begin to peel at the forceing cone. :x A couple of bystanders agreed with the dealer, however, none of them had ever owned a shotgun with chrome lined bores :shock: (I assume lined actually means plated)

I would greatly appreciate any comments from anyone that has any experience with or knowledge of chrome lined bores. Are they a problem or are these some old tales and legends?

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Chrome lined bores does not mean their chrome plated. I think the guys were pulling your chain. I've never heard of chrome lined bores peeling.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Assuming they did a good job of chrome on the bores, there is NO probability of that happening! BS pure and simple! Even the Russians do a better job that that.

BP

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
The chrome lining in a bore will not peel.

Many chrome lined bores are completely chromed, bore, forcing cone, and chamber. It is common for gunsmiths to lengthen the forcing cones of a gun like that, cutting (or grinding) through the chrome when they do it, and it does not cause the chrome to peel.

The chrome in a shotgun bore is not like the chrome on the bumper of a 1953 Chevy.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
BTW, the 20 with light loads or with Browning's a pair of short chamber insertsfor 28 ga is a much better starting gun than a .410.

I have a fixed choke Browning O/U with chrome lined barrels and have had the forcing cones lengthened and chokes open--no problems, no peeling of chrome...nuts to the gun counter crowd--if they had guns they'd be out shooting.

·
Premium Member
20,011 Posts
Fish Springs said:
I have a fixed choke Browning O/U with chrome lined barrels and have had the forcing cones lengthened and chokes open--no problems, no peeling of chrome...nus to the gun counter crowd--if they had guns they'd be out shooting.
Hmmmmm.......... I didn't know that Browning chrome lined their barrels on guns for sale to the U.S. market. I know that several years ago they began chrome lining the chambers of the O/U's they sell in the U.S. Could it be that your gun came from Browning International instead of Browning USA?

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
Chrome lining a bore IS chrome plated. How in the hell do you geniuses think the chrome got there?

It does not look like a car bumper, but it is most certainly done as an electrochemical deposition process (aka plating).

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Go to any gunshop and there will be the "EXPERTS" on everything, either making it up or repeating something stupid they heard from another expert. Some just cannot refrain from interjecting something into a conversation, regardless of how unfounded it is. I guess the Chrome peeling must go back to the old bumpers, that in NY would peel, but that was from underlying corrosion, not the chrome job.
EX = former,
Spurts = A little drip

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chrome lined bores is a question of durabitlity, Look at assault rifles, Ak-47 all had chromed line bores but the yugo versions and any good AR-15 will have a chromed lined bore unless you go with a stainless steel target barrel.
I wouldn't worry about the Spartan, they are a good gun and will last you quite along time.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Boofie Lets talk about your grandson. How old is he? What size is he? For most of us it is a challenge to shoot the 410, though we like the challenge, it's not where a youth should start. A light weight 20 youth would be a good starting point. Rent a few at a local club before you buy one. Also check out the local SCTP in your area they generally have club guns as well..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree, stay away from the 410. I started my son two years ago with a Daly semi auto 20-gauge. At the time my son only weighed 60-65 pounds and he need a light gun. The Daly youth came in at about 5-1/2 pounds. I had the port opened up so that it would shout training or light loads and the gun is perfect. He loves it and can 100 rounds in an afternoon with no problem. Unfortunately, he is now trying to commandeer my Rizzini 28-gauge. I would probably even let him once my new RBL comes in if the shells weren't just so $$$ expensive.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
I can claim a modest expertise in plating; I've actually got qualifications in the subject.

The terms "chrome lined" "chrome plated" and "chromed" all refer to electrodeposited chromuim deposits. The stuff on car bumpers is "decorative chrome"; the stuff in gun bores is "hard chrome"

In decorative chrome a very thin layer of the metal is deposited over a very much thicker layer of nickel. The nickel gives the brightness and reflectivity you are used to seeing in automotive and domestic applications.

Hard chrome is deposited directly on to the underlying steel. The thickness of the deposit can be as little as .00005" or as much as .100". Chemically the two are the same, but they differ in physical terms by reason of the crystal structure.

When correctly applied (and I'm sure that the big gunmakers get it right) the bond between hard chome and the steel is enormously strong and won't peel when ground. A botch job by an unskilled applicator might well.

Probably most modern mass produced shotguns come with Cr bores, and I've never heard of a service failure in normal conditions.

Befor the advent of AAA missiles, anti aircraft guns were chrome lined..the first batch I did were 18 feet long and 4 " dia. for the Royal Navy, and believe me if one had flaked off I'd be writing this from The Tower of London!

So it's old wives tales those guys were trotting out.

Regards
Eug

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Eugene - thank you for an erudite explanation. Much appreciated.

By the way, I understand that if you did screw up and ended in the Tower of London you would have been in the company of many famous and historical figures. Apparently you just weren't anyone in old England if you didn't do a tour in the tower. :lol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate your time to answer my questions and I trust your knowledge and especially your experience.

Fish Springs and pijonsmasher,
I absolutely agree. I am in a situation where I am getting a little older and my health leaves much to be desired. I also have quite a collection of guns, two daughters, two sons in laws, two grandsons, and two grandaughters. I am trying to work it out so each grandson will get an over/under 410, a pump 20, a semiauto 20. and a pump 12. I would also like for it to come out so each gets an equal value amount.

The grandaughters, daughters, and sons in laws will get a good assortment of some very special rifles and some handguns from my days of shooting handgun competition. There are reloaders for shotshell, handgun, and rifle that I would like to keep in the family.

I'm not feeling morbid, just want some things done my way. Also, I want to do some FUN shooting with those boys. I have a little ground mounted trap that will throw doubles and we can go through a couple boxes of clay targets in short time. It is a shame they are so fragile :( because many of them hit the ground untouched :oops: and could be used again :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Boofie said:
I have a little ground mounted trap that will throw doubles and we can go through a couple boxes of clay targets in short time. It is a shame they are so fragile :( because many of them hit the ground untouched :oops: and could be used again :)
Two choices come to mind. 1. - Break them all before they hit the ground. :D :wink: or,

2. Use a fishing net suspended by 4"x4" posts, in the landing zone. I have seen this done, and it's amazing how many targets you could save to be shot again! It helps to go out and pick up the unbroken ones from the net, every couple of cases, as they can start weighing the net down, or break when hitting each other.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took the grandsons to Gander Mountain this morning and we looked at a Spartan 410 first hand. Neither grandson could handle it or even open it. It was actually a 20 ***** receiver and monoblock. It was about 3 inches longer and and about 2 pounds heavier than the Citori. Both shoot the Citori very well and can handle it easily.

I found no other problem or quality issue with the Spartan. It is just a very large and heavy shotgun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts