Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went grouse hunting with a friends Browning Citori 16ga a couple weeks ago. I really like the gun but don't know much about the Browning line. Can anyone give me feedback about their Citori models and specifically their 16ga O/U guns?? Are they all the same or were there some better years and models?? Thanks, Dave
PS: The gun I borrowed did have choke tubes and my friend said he bought it over 15 years ago

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
He's got the first series of 16s made in the early 90s. If I remember right the frame is a little bigger than the last run of them. I know the last run is on a smaller frame (true 16 or 20). Browning put out a run a few years ago. They are getting hard to find as most of us 16ers picked them up pretty quick. I picked up a Gran Lightning. It has nicer wood with a oiled finish. If you search Gunbroker or cabelas ( gun library) you usually can find one for sale. I really like mine, light and swings good.

·
Registered
11,096 Posts
The 16 is a GREAT gauge, and the guns, if on a true 16 frame, are a delight.

But with the fact that it is difficult to find good shells, particularly for reloading, I just gave up on it.

It's too bad that the "Big 3" don't offer more loadings, especially AAs, STSs, etc.

And to think Remington recently came out with an 870 and an 1100 in 16, but at the same time dropped some of their 16 ga. loadings. It just doesn't make any sense!!

BobK

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback on this one!!! I don't know if the Citori 16ga I used was built on a "true" 16ga frame or not. I will say that the gun handled well and was not overly heavy. I do know some guys like much lighter shotguns than I do. I think most shotguns under 6 lbs 8oz. are too light for me. I would say the Citori I used was around 7 lbs. Would anyone have the weight specification on the two different Citori 16ga guns?? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hi Chopper,
I have a Citori 16 ga. Lightning Feather with 28 inch barrels. It is the best upland gun I have ever had. It carries like a feather and drops the birds like rocks. It is built on a true 16 gauge frame, and has invector choke tubes. Mine was built in 2002 for the Hicks & Sons run. I weighed it on a digital scale and it weighed 6.0 pounds. The standard Lightning model with an all steel receiver certainly weighs more and may be more to your liking. It is only my guess but I would think the standard Lightning model would be close to 7 pounds.
A month or two ago Pacific Arms still had some available on their website. They had a special run made for them after the Hick's run, and the prices have gone up some.
I have not had any problem finding standard shot sizes 6 & 8's locally. I also have Citoris in 12 & 20 gauge, and my 16 gauge receiver is much much closer to the 20 rather than the 12. One of these days I'll have to measure them all for comparison.
A wonderful upland gun. Good luck.

Grousen

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Check out 16ga.com. There is a vast amount of knowledge there and this gun has been discussed several times.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Another vote for the Feather if going with an o/u.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've got a 16ga White Lightning, 28" barrels, 6 lbs. and 12 oz. Balances better than any gun I've owned...really hammered the dove this season. It's going pheasant hunting on the 17th and 18th, we'll see how it and the shooter (my wife) fare against the Kansas roosters.

My advice, get one...just don't let your wife shoot it, then you may need two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts