Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Anybody know the difference between the two? I'm looking at both but the specs are almost identicial. The XS is less but it doesn't come with the Midas chokes. Actually I'd buy one used in either flavor if it had the 32" barrells.

Robert

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
I'm not a 100% about this but isnt the XS and XT series the new name and upgraded version of the 525's? A friend has an XT and that is a nice piece.

I dont think you can go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Robert - the XS is basically the B425 with slight differences in the drop at comb and heel when compared to the B525. However, the major difference with the B525 is the very vertical/exaggerated grip and so-called euro style checkering. Many have said, including Bruce Buck from the Shotgun Report, that one either loves or hates the 525 grip. Some say it alters the hand/wrist mechanics at mounting. I have handled it and I THINK I like it, but only shooting with it would really tell that story. I shoot the B425 with its more conventional stock configuration and find it to be perfect for me. Shoot rounds with both if you can.....then the decision will be easy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'm currently using a Citori Hunter. A friend has a 525 Field so I may try the fit of his. I had seen the slight difference in the stock but it's pretty minor but I hadn't noticed the difference in the grip so I'll look at that. But I'm assuming mechanically they are the same gun??
And I would certainly consider the 425 Sporting also.

Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
273 Posts
Robert - I believe, mechanically, all Citori's are the same. If I may so bold as to make a recommendation on the B425, check out Miller's Gun Center. They have had some proprietary models built just for them which they call the American Sporter. That's where I got mine and I could not be happier. Beautiful gun and a flat shooter. They are located in New Castle, Delaware. Talk to John Miller, the owner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Again, I shot a 525 this weekend and it's a much different gun than my Citori Hunter. The bigger pistol grip is a lot different and didn't fit me well. It moved much quicker than I'm used to. Actually I thought it felt more like my little 28 Ruger than my Citori it was so much quicker. So I think I'll redirect my search toward the 325/425 or XS. And there was another shooter there that I talked to that was shooting an XS and he said the same thing. He had bought a 525 and then traded it on the XS. Just couldn't get used to the different stock.

Robert

·
Registered
273 Posts
Robert - Yes, I've read in other forums and boards that people have purchased the 525 and then determined they did not like the grip and traded out of it. You were smart and fortunate to have been able to try it first and make the detemination quickly. Let us know what you end up getting. Have you considered the Silver Pigeon II? I haven't shot it, but they sure are a nice piece of eye-candy.

G

·
Like you, I have been shooting a Citori Hunter and I just picked up a 525. I found the gun to be more lighter and more responsive and that is what I was looking for. It does kick more at this time but a decent recoil pad will fix that. The grip was very strange at first but now is much preferred. I was taught a different way to hold the gun and the stock fits that style better. My scores are not as good with the gun yet but I have only put a few hundred or so rounds through it during reshoots or practice. After this years state shoot it will become my primary sporting clays gun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Again, Yesterday I shot a 525 again. I am rethinking my original impression on this. I believe I might just like this after all. With longer barrels I might just grow to really like this. It really can move quickly. My Hunter (the 28" 3.5" model) is a little slow at times but I bet a 525 with 30" or so barrels can be quite nice. A good friend has graciously offered to let me shoot his whatever I need to make a decision so I'm going to take him up on it. I'm still amazed at the difference in handling.

Robert K

1 - 9 of 9 Posts