Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any one with a Citori has had a problem with the firing pins pitting or denting??? My citori has this problem and I was just wondering if it is common or not.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
it happens as the pins get used. It also happens if the primers get pierced. They are easy and cheap to replace. I did mine awhile back.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
claybuster21 said:
Is there any chance you could defined used? I have probable shot close to 2,000 rounds in the last couple months and started to notice the pins pitting.
I don't think the pins should pit that early. Have you noticed any primer piercing? I was piercing primers on some cheap promo loads and have since switched to Remington gunclubs or the STS/nitro shells and no longer have a problem. What shells or primers are you using?

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I replaced the pins in a Citori after around 2,000 shells. The next pins are going bad after about 200 shells, all Rios. Many primers are being pierced. I switched to Winchester Walmart shells with no primer piercing. I'm going to try another lot of Rio's to see if I got a bad lot, or the firing pins are bad. The bottom pin is suffering the worst of the two pins. It got to the point where I started getting misfires. Maybe the longer Browning firing pins are causing a problem and maybe not.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
albanygun said:
Maybe the longer Browning firing pins are causing a problem and maybe not.
Maybe.... but now the gun goes bang everytime. I'd much rather be changing pins then dealing with misfires. But then that's me. Pins were under $30 IIRC.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
"The next pins are going bad after about 200 shells, all Rios"

My daughter's Citori did exactly the same, changes the firing pins, took about 15 minutes, and quit using Rio's and wa-la, no more burned firing pins!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The majority of the shells i have shot have been winchester AA, STS's, and B&P's. I did shoot about a hundred rio's but I did not seem to notice any pierced primers. Also, I was wondering if anyone has sent a gun into briley to have firing pins made???

·
Premium Member
9,142 Posts
I have a 16 Gauge Citori now with no issues and have had a trap model Citori. I put 60,000 plus rounds on the trap model, before I had the bottom firing pin chip. I shoot on a skeet team, and most of the guys use Citori's. All of these Citori's have thousands of rounds through them without firing pin issues. Citori's are pretty bullet-proof, your experience is not normal.

If you are shooting ammo with primers that pierce, I would change to a better grade of ammo. Pierced primers will eat up firing pins.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wonder if it might be a problem with the newer ones as my "Mr. Dependable" never had that problem.....and yes.....it had a lot of shells .....mostly Fiocchi through it.

Or maybe the problem is the shells not the pins????

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
You asked the exact same question in gunsmithing last Saturday but the answer is still the same.

Citori pins get pitted. It happens. It's not the shells and it's not just your gun. It's the heat treatment process used by Miroku. I've never seen a Citori or Miroku (other than new) than didn't have pitted pins. The pitting will not cause a problem for a very long time.

You have 3 choices: 1) Do what everyone else does and ignore it for the next 50K or so rounds. 2) Have a gunsmith make new ones, properly hardened and tempered. 3) Buy almost any other mid range gun.

I realise it looks bad and I was horrified when I first saw it, but it really isn't anything to worry about.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Browning lower barrel pin is stronger than the top. I had used Cheddite primers, but they burn through. Many shells use this type of primer. I never had any problems with Winchester or Remington primers burning through..

·
Registered
230 Posts
My Citori 525 Sporting has somewhere north of 15k shells through it (likely more like 20k) about 8k of them Rio Top Sportings and about 3k of them chepo Noble Sport primered reloads. No problems, I just had a look and they look like they should. I've never pierced a primer with it.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I shot a box of Rio's today from another Lot # and no pierced primers. The other 75 targets were with Winchester Super Targets and no pierced primers. I'm going to run a few more of the bad lot through to see what happens.

·
Administrator
23,822 Posts
Thousands of pierced primers are never detected. Here is one

Here is another that is more easily detected.

Each one of these is a source of extremely hot gasses around 10K psi. A very small cutting torch in effect, no wonder steel firing pins get eroded.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Curly-Nohair said:
Thousands of pierced primers are never detected. Here is one

Each one of these is a source of extremely hot gasses around 10K psi. A very small cutting torch in effect, no wonder steel firing pins get eroded.
Here is one

Each one of these is a source of extremely hot gasses around 10K psi. A very small cutting torch in effect, no wonder steel firing pins get eroded.[/quote]

Merry Christmas Curly....hope this note finds you well....

I know this is an old post, however I have had to deal with FTF lower barrel( 725 12 ga) and an extremely dirty trigger mechanism that just started to occur when I loaded up some AA grey/NS sport primers/1 oz CB1100 wads 18 grains of Clay Dot. The pin has been slightly fractured for almost a year and the upper pin shows very little wear. The AA's are 4-6 years old once shot...I mention this because I never had this happen with the grey ones that I have used which were gathered up last spring using the same recipe and never a problem with red AA, nitros, sts and gun club all using the same components.
This is a picture of the trigger before a sonic cleaning:
cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=67361&pos=-15720.
My guess is the problem was way too much "gunzilla" cleaning the breech etc and carbon entering the gun because of pierced primers grabbing on to the gunzilla that had entered the gun. All my empties bear the same mark as the fractured pins.

I had the gun sonically cleaned and had a J&P kit installed to include firing pins, hammer springs and top level spring.
https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/product_i ... cts_id=226

I shot a few boxes of the suspect grey ones, some red AA's, gun clubs, nitros, and sts. No fail to fire...you can tell the lock time is faster and the trigger felt a bit crisper. I checked the lower pin and it already has a very small fracture. This pin is .005 longer and and made from S-7 tool steel and heat treated to provide the correct hardness to resist chipping by hard primers. I was a bit surprised.

Am I to assume the once the pin is even slightly chipped or fractured that it is puncturing the NS primers almost ever time I pull the trigger? I thought it was random occurrence chipped pin and all. J&S tells me that nothing is impervious to chipping when it comes to NS and even more so with Cheddite. I love their new springs...however I do own a case of NS primers and would like to continue to use them.
I know a lot of folks at both clubs I shoot at that use them routinely....even a guy that shoot a lot of them through his CSMC Winchester 21's.

Thanks in advance

cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=67361&pos=-15720

·
Registered
802 Posts
Have been having the same problem with Fiocchi shells. After speaking with Browning a few times, they blame the primers [cheddite], Fiocchi says gun is the problem. I have replaced probably 30 - 35 under pins for customers and my gun [12] over the years. Happens to both barrels over time.
Some one has to take the blame. Have not had a problem with Win / Rems...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.