Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An incentive program at work has given me the opportunity to obtain a free new shotgun. I had the choice between a Browning Citori White Lightning and a Weatherby Orion and chose the Browning. My only concern is that the Browning weighs in at what seems like a hefty 8 lbs. I've thought of approaching my gun dealer and seeing if I can work out a trade for a Featherweight, which is a pound less.

This will be my first O/U and I'm wondering if there is any advantage/disadvantage to the heavier gun. I will be using the gun primarily for upland field shooting, a little bit of trap, and no waterfowling. Any experience or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I wanna work where you do PLEASE!!!!

Anywho the good news is the heavier weight will be good for trap in that it will help with the recoil. The bad news is after lugging that thing while upland hunting you are going to feel it. Givin time you will get used to it, and hey it will be a good work out.

A trade for a new featherweight will be you handing over the gun and a few hundered bucks. I know the gun is new to you but when it leaves your hands he has to sell it as used. However I am sure it will be very close to a new gun price that he sells it for. Since if I remember the Feather is about a $150ish more than the white lightning new.

I dunno you have a tuff choice to make there. If it were me I would hold on to it at least until I found a used feather in great shape I could trade even up for, or even + $100 tops.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I would say that if your arms get that heavy feeling after carrying it around the house, up and down some stairs, in the ready position of course, action open, then you might opt for the feather.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Personally I would go with the White Lightning because I think it is an awesome gun...I have never shot a featherweight though.

I would pose this question to the more experienced here (not me in other words) will it matter if you take it to the skeet/trap range and shoot a round or two with it? How much less will the gunsmith give you in trade it if you do that? That way you can atleast see how well you do with the recoil of the gun, then once you know how you deal with the recoil of the white lightning think about adding onto that recoil, because the featherwieght will have more of a kick...just a thought I had...it may be way off...so see what the experts say!!

Good luck with your decision...the White Lightning is an awesome citori, and I hear good things about the featherwieght.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts