Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused. I have been shooting single barrels for over 25 years. And I understand how a choke works and the differences in constrictions with the different tubes. However I am confused about the differences between shooting an o/u and a single barrel. From what I have been told and read here in the forum a o/u is designed to shoot at a specific distance. As in the two tubes are built to hit the same spot at 25 or 40 yards. If that is correct, then the o/u will inherently be off target at any other distance than what the gun is designed for. Wouldn't a single barrel be better, unless you know the distance in which you intend to shoot?

I tend to hunt more often than I shoot clays. And when I do shoot clays it is generally from a foot operated thower and it is just to brush up on my shooting so that I can hit the birds or ducks during the season. When I hunt the birds are at all kinds of ranges. Some flush from under my feet. Others flush 25 yards out and head in the other direction. I have always thought that an o/u would be great to hunt upland, but now I am wondering if I would be better off sticking with a good semi-auto.

Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Recall that you are talking about a shotgun, not a something shooting a single projectile. The idea that the gun will be off at certain yardages would apply if shooting slugs, but is less of a concern with the spray of pellets in a typical shotgun pattern.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts