Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused. I have been shooting single barrels for over 25 years. And I understand how a choke works and the differences in constrictions with the different tubes. However I am confused about the differences between shooting an o/u and a single barrel. From what I have been told and read here in the forum a o/u is designed to shoot at a specific distance. As in the two tubes are built to hit the same spot at 25 or 40 yards. If that is correct, then the o/u will inherently be off target at any other distance than what the gun is designed for. Wouldn't a single barrel be better, unless you know the distance in which you intend to shoot?

I tend to hunt more often than I shoot clays. And when I do shoot clays it is generally from a foot operated thower and it is just to brush up on my shooting so that I can hit the birds or ducks during the season. When I hunt the birds are at all kinds of ranges. Some flush from under my feet. Others flush 25 yards out and head in the other direction. I have always thought that an o/u would be great to hunt upland, but now I am wondering if I would be better off sticking with a good semi-auto.

Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Recall that you are talking about a shotgun, not a something shooting a single projectile. The idea that the gun will be off at certain yardages would apply if shooting slugs, but is less of a concern with the spray of pellets in a typical shotgun pattern.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Dan,

An OU is really only two of your single barrels stacked together. Where does your single barrel shoot? Does it only hit birds or clays at 25 or 40 Yards? Then why would an OU?

Roger

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.