Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 8 pounder of clays to reload my 12 ga. and my sons 20 ga. shells. but when i got home and read the hogdon book my dealer gave me they were`nt showing a grain load for 20 ga. using the clays , they were saying to use the universal. but at the mec web site its showing clays reload chart with a # 20 bushing at 11.4 grains so i assume ill be ok. just need a confirmation im right that it can be used thanks

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
If MEC says it will work, I'd try a couple. I even have some data showing 700x for 28 ga loads?? Haven't tried them yet. MEC is no newcomer to the game, I'd trust at least a few!

BP

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
You do not say what hull and components you are using but I have not seen any place on MEC's website giving reloading data. That said, Clays is meant for 12 ga and is not recommended for 20 ga. International Clays and Universal Clays are the typical powders used. If the Clays load is listed, get a scale and weigh the power throw before you use it. Since Clays is a very fast burning powder and the 20 is a small bore, slight changes in powder weight can lead to to large changes in pressure.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if u look under powder bushing link it gives u various choices of powder companys then u click the co. and it shows u all the various charges that match up with bushing sizes , but to be safe ill weigh a few to make sure they weigh out to mecs specs . thanks for the advice

·
Premium Member
19,768 Posts
The #20 bushing you are referring to is the SIZE of the bushing, not the GAUGE to be used in.

Do NOT use Clays powder for 20 gauge loads! :!: :!: :!:

Clays powder is much too fast burning to be safe in a 20 gauge. :!: :!:

Don't try it in even ONE shell! :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks i looked in the alliant book and they suggested unique or i can use hogdon universal or international so i guess ill just get one of those

1 - 6 of 6 Posts