Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone post a link or information on taking down my receiver for some cleaning. Just acquired a 870 that has been sitting around for a decade.

The gun is mint condition and has less than 12 rounds through it. I would like to clean it thoroughly.

Any suggestions what to look out for and cleaning tips since the gun has been sitting around for over 10 years.

Should I discard the vintage ammo?

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
OiO said:
Can someone post a link or information on taking down my receiver for some cleaning.
There's a good link with photo's on it but I can't recall the source, I expect someone will post it, in the mean time, see page 12 on;

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_870.pdf

As for a gun that has been sitting around, some sort of lubricant may have been used that might congeal into a sludge, this should be checked for and scrubbed out with solvent.

I suggest not trying to dismantle the trigger group beyond taking it out of the receiver. It can be cleaned with one of the aerosol gun scrubber products and a tooth brush.

I usually use Rem Action Cleaner, it is down the page a bit on;

http://www.remington.com/products/acces ... icants.asp

However, Birchwood Casey has a similar product out too.

As for the old ammo, if it is properly stored, it should last a very long time. I have fired 30 year old shells without any concern.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Normal strip down and clean should be all you need!
Treat the trigger group as a unit, no need to take it apart unless it needs repair.
As for old ammo, I've shot stuff that was over sixty years old, went off with a bang?
If there's any corrosion at all on the ammo then dump it and the only caution I'd give you is don't use it in a auto-loader unless you know the ammo is good ahead of time! :wink:

:idea: Oh, in a pinch a can of spray carb cleaner works as well as anything to get the metal parts clean. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts