Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the President of a gun club at UNC. After shooting a round of skeet for the first time, one of my members ask for a shotgun for Christmas. I told him that he should clean it before he uses it, but I don't know how to do so. I have cleaned autoloaders before, are they similar to clean or totally different? And if totally different could someone give me some advice to pass along.

Also he was telling me he had trouble with a reaching a switch that releases the pump of the gun. Is there anything that can be done about this?

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Good advice so far but on the break down of the 870 ignore the part about taking apart the trigger group.
Just give a good spray with cleaner/solvent (use a tooth brush if needed), give it a good shake and let dry...then give the whole thing another spray with oil/shake off the excess/let dry and your done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll be sure to pass your advice along.

Dax

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
heelgundax said:
Thanks guys. I'll be sure to pass your advice along.

Dax
Should have added: If you ever cleaned a 1100/1187 you'll be right at home doing a 870, darn near identical except for the gas system. :oops:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Only issue i ever had stripping and cleaning an 870 involved determining what remington meant by 'left' and 'right'. it's left and right with the load port up and the muzzle away from you.

Justin

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Hoxviii said:
Only issue i ever had stripping and cleaning an 870 involved determining what remington meant by 'left' and 'right'. it's left and right with the load port up and the muzzle away from you.

Justin
:arrow: To me and everyone else I've know the right side has always been the ejection port
or the side opposite where a right-handed shooter place's their cheek on the stock.
:B3

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well then, i take that back. I just realized i was doing it upside down with the butt away from me :oops:

So anyway, right is right and left is left with the load port up and the butt away from you.

Justin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Conman said:
Here is a link that will give all the info you need on an 870.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthre ... adid=66406

The "switch" that releases the pump is in front of the trigger guard (why, I don't know - I like the Mossberg one - in the rear). In any case that is where it is and there is no changing it.

Good Luck
Um. Here's my dumb question of the day. I just cleaned my shotgun for the first time last weekend. I did no disassembly, at all. I mean, I took the wire brush, dipped it in cleaning solvent, and inserted it from the muzzle end till it poked out the chamber, did the back and forth a dozen times, then did the same with cleaning wads soaked in solvent, then did the cleaning wads only until one came through super clean, then did one with a light oil and sent that back and forth a half dozen times. I'm only going to the range with my gun. does cleaning need to be more complicated than that??

·
Registered
125 Posts
When you clean like that, there is the opportunity for crud from the barrel to run down into the bolt and trigger group, potentially giving you a crunchy trigger pull, or even gumming up the firing pin bad enough to get light strikes on the primer. Far better to take the barrel off to clean it, or to get a bore snake and pull that from the chamber end out the muzzle.

I'd read up on how to clean the gun and do it the longer way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
bmcd308 said:
When you clean like that, there is the opportunity for crud from the barrel to run down into the bolt and trigger group, potentially giving you a crunchy trigger pull, or even gumming up the firing pin bad enough to get light strikes on the primer. Far better to take the barrel off to clean it, or to get a bore snake and pull that from the chamber end out the muzzle.

I'd read up on how to clean the gun and do it the longer way.
I will do that, thanks for the advice. My concern is about that link above that led me to another forum that had instructions on how to disassemble the gun into a hundred different pieces!! I'm not ready to do that! If all you mean is removing the barrel and then doing the cleaning from the action end (rather than the muzzle end), I can do that (I think).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts